RFC2630 support

madhu sudhan reddy-2

Hello All,

            RESTRICTIONS

There is no option to print out all the fields of a PKCS#7 file.

This PKCS#7 routines only understand PKCS#7 v 1.5 as specified in RFC2315 they cannot currently parse, for example, the new CMS as described in RFC2630.

Above lines are from http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/pkcs7.html#.

Is there any support for RFC2630 now in OpenSSL?

Your comment on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Madhu

This Email Message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and May contain CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED information.
LG Soft India will not be responisible for any viruses or defects or
any forwarded attachements emanating either from within
LG Soft India or outside. Any unauthorised review , use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not intentded
copies of the original message.

Re: RFC2630 support

Suchindra Chandrahas
Dear madhu,
             Have you worked at Disc Technology
Services Private Limited previously. Just got confused
by the name. Please don't mind.
              Regards,
                        Suchi

Re: RFC2630 support

On Tue, May 24, 2005, Madhu Sudhan Reddy wrote:

> Is there any support for RFC2630 now in OpenSSL?
>
> Your comment on this will be greatly appreciated.

No, OpenSSL doesn't support S/MIME v3 at present. Interest has been expressed
from time to time but so far no one has been prepared to fund its development.

In practice very few clients output S/MIME v3 messages that are not supported
by PKCS#7 so this is rarely a problem in practice.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

RE: RFC2630 support

madhu sudhan reddy-2
Hello Dr Stephen, Thank you very much for your kind response.

Below I am explaining the actual problem I am facing.

I am presently developing JAVA wrapper for the signature functionality,
the JAVA sign() function returns signature in CMS format.

But inside JAVA sign() function I used OpenSSL to generate signature in
PKCS #7 format.

While testing sign() function with Auto test java application it is
returning Invalid CMS.

Just I want to know is it because of format incompatibility between CMS
and PKCS #7? or any other reason.

Any comment on this is greatly helpful for me.

Thanks,
Madhu

On Tue, May 24, 2005, Madhu Sudhan Reddy wrote:

> Is there any support for RFC2630 now in OpenSSL?
>
> Your comment on this will be greatly appreciated.

No, OpenSSL doesn't support S/MIME v3 at present. Interest has been
expressed
from time to time but so far no one has been prepared to fund its
development.

In practice very few clients output S/MIME v3 messages that are not
supported
by PKCS#7 so this is rarely a problem in practice.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

This Email Message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and May contain CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED information.
LG Soft India will not be responisible for any viruses or defects or
any forwarded attachements emanating either from within
LG Soft India or outside. Any unauthorised review , use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not intentded
copies of the original message.
#####################################################################:—§I"Ï®ˆÞrØm¶Ÿÿà (¥éì²Z+K­+©¦Ší1¨¥Šx ŠËh¥éì²[¬z»(¥éì²Z+€ ­¢f­yÒâ²Ó¨®f£¢·hšŠ)z{,–Šà

Re: RFC2630 support

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Wed, May 25, 2005, Madhu Sudhan Reddy wrote:

> Hello Dr Stephen, Thank you very much for your kind response.
>
> Below I am explaining the actual problem I am facing.
>
> I am presently developing JAVA wrapper for the signature functionality,
> the JAVA sign() function returns signature in CMS format.
>
> But inside JAVA sign() function I used OpenSSL to generate signature in
> PKCS #7 format.
>
> While testing sign() function with Auto test java application it is
> returning Invalid CMS.
>
> Just I want to know is it because of format incompatibility between CMS
> and PKCS #7? or any other reason.
>
> Any comment on this is greatly helpful for me.

It is very unlikely that an OpenSSL PKCS#7 structure will be incompatible with
a CMS implementation. If you use, for example, PKCS7_sign() this can never
happen.

You could see if OpenSSLs smime utility can verify the signature from Java and
vice versa. If they will then there's a problem with your OpenSSL code.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.