Questions about OCB and Wrap modes

Michel

Hi,

As there was some discussion about AEAD, I am still curious to know why OCB mode isn't flagged as one of them :

assert( EVP_CIPHER_flags( EVP_aes_128_ocb() ) & EVP_CIPH_FLAG_AEAD_CIPHER );    failed ?

Can someone please explain this to me ?

And by the way, I would also be happy to understand why the wrap modes have to be 'allowed'.

I  am asking because at the moment, I am doing something like :

if( EVP_CIPHER_mode( pCipher ) == EVP_CIPH_WRAP_MODE ) EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_flags( pCtx, EVP_CIPHER_CTX_FLAG_WRAP_ALLOW);

But I suspect it might not be the best strategy, because if it was so easy, it could have been done automatically /transparently no ?

Regards,

Michel

Re: Questions about OCB and Wrap modes

Matt Caswell-2

On 15/03/16 11:12, Michel wrote:

> Hi,
>

> As there was some discussion about AEAD, I am still curious to know why
> OCB mode isn't flagged as one of them :
>
> assert( EVP_CIPHER_flags( EVP_aes_128_ocb() ) &
> EVP_CIPH_FLAG_AEAD_CIPHER );    failed ?
>

> Can someone please explain this to me ?

Yes. It's a bug! :-)

Now fixed in git.

Re: Questions about OCB and Wrap modes