Questions about ECC

Edward Chan-3
Questions about ECC

Is ECC only used where public key crytography would be used?  As a replacement for DH, for example?  Or can it be used where symmetric cryptography would be used?

Also, are there any IP issues related to using it?  I thought I read that many aspects of ECC has been patented by various people and companies around the world; Certicom holds like 130 patents around ECC.  I also read that the NSA actually licensed Certicom's intellectual property in a "restricted field of use".

Does OpenSSL support ECC?  And given the IP issues surrounding it, it is it ok for people to use it?

Sorry, I know this is not directly related to OpenSSL.  But I appreciate you taking the time to help me get my head around this.

Thanks,
Ed

PEM function Runtime Error in Borland Builder

Rafael Cividanes
  Hi,

    After spend two days looking for a way to resolve my problem, I decided to try this list.

    I'm trying to use PEM funcions (like PEM_write_RSAPublicKey(out, rsa)) and I'm getting runtime error in my Borland C++ Builder, version 5, under Windows plataform.

    I've read the FAQ, where there is an explanation for this problem and the correct configuration for MS Visual C++ (Studio), however, there is no hints for Borland Compiler.
    In Borland Builder, I try Project->Options->Linker and set Use dynamic RTL, but the problem stays.

    I know that this problem is something related multithread, but I coudn't find the correct way to configure my C++ Compiller.

    I've read some problems similar than mine in openssl-dev mail archive, but I still without a solution.

     Thanks in advance,

            Rafael Cividanes.

Re: Questions about ECC

Nils Larsch
Edward Chan wrote:
> Is ECC only used where public key crytography would be used?  As a
> replacement for DH, for example?

yep

> Also, are there any IP issues related to using it?  I thought I read
> that many aspects of ECC has been patented by various people and
> companies around the world; Certicom holds like 130 patents around ECC.
> I also read that the NSA actually licensed Certicom's intellectual
> property in a "restricted field of use".
>
> Does OpenSSL support ECC?

openssl supports (certain variants of) ecdsa and ecdh

> And given the IP issues surrounding it, it is it ok for people to use it?

we try to avoid the use of patented algorithms etc. but as it is
possible to patent almost everything in certain countries it is almost
impossible to say that openssl doesn't violate a patent in such a country.

Cheers,
Nils