Query regarding the SCTP events for DTLS connections

Query regarding the SCTP events for DTLS connections

mahesh gs
Hi,

We have an application which has SCTP connections we have secured the SCTP connections using the openssl DTLS. DTLS is working as expected other than the SCTP events.

We use the API "BIO_new_dgram_sctp" to create a BIO objects and we register a callback function to openssl using API "BIO_dgram_sctp_notification_cb" to populate the SCTP events. I observe that openssl enables only authentication related events, do not enable any other events like association, shutdown etc.

Code snippet from the API "BIO_new_dgram_sctp":

    event.sctp_authentication_event = 1;

    ret =
        setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_SCTP, SCTP_EVENTS, &event,
                   sizeof(struct sctp_event_subscribe));
    if (ret < 0) {
        BIO_vfree(bio);
        return (NULL);
    }

Is there any specific reason for just enabling the authentication events ?

If yes, is there any way applications register for other events like shutdown, association etc. We have a requirement where based on the SCTP events application executes certain business logic.

Thanks,
Mahesh G S

Re: Query regarding the SCTP events for DTLS connections

Michael Tuexen-4

> On 28. Sep 2017, at 20:36, mahesh gs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We have an application which has SCTP connections we have secured the SCTP connections using the openssl DTLS. DTLS is working as expected other than the SCTP events.
>
> We use the API "BIO_new_dgram_sctp" to create a BIO objects and we register a callback function to openssl using API "BIO_dgram_sctp_notification_cb" to populate the SCTP events. I observe that openssl enables only authentication related events, do not enable any other events like association, shutdown etc.
>
> Code snippet from the API "BIO_new_dgram_sctp":
>
>     event.sctp_authentication_event = 1;
>
>     ret =
>         setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_SCTP, SCTP_EVENTS, &event,
>                    sizeof(struct sctp_event_subscribe));
>     if (ret < 0) {
>         BIO_vfree(bio);
>         return (NULL);
>     }
>
> Is there any specific reason for just enabling the authentication events ?
The authentication events are needed by the DTLS implementation and are therefore
enabled by it. Other events have to be subscribed by the application. See
https://github.com/nplab/DTLS-Examples/blob/master/src/dtls_sctp_echo.c
for an example.

Best regards
Michael