Problem with Last step in setup

Gerardi, Elio

I am getting the following error when I run the ‘make install’ command on OPenSSL

make install

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make depend && /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make _all

*** Installing development files

Cannot create directory /usr/local/include: No such file or directory

make: *** [install_dev] Error 2

Elio Gerardi – Cloud Architect
Hyperscaler GTM team

Cloud Business Unit

cloud.netapp.com

NetApp

646.313.3079 Direct Phone

914.419.0396 Mobile Phone

Re: Problem with Last step in setup

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
In message <[hidden email]> on Tue, 5 Sep 2017 15:37:59 +0000, "Gerardi, Elio" <[hidden email]> said:

Elio.Gerardi> I am getting the following error when I run the ‘make install’ command on OPenSSL
Elio.Gerardi>
Elio.Gerardi> make install
Elio.Gerardi>
Elio.Gerardi> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make depend &&
Elio.Gerardi> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make _all
Elio.Gerardi>
Elio.Gerardi> *** Installing development files
Elio.Gerardi>
Elio.Gerardi> Cannot create directory /usr/local/include: No such file or directory
Elio.Gerardi>
Elio.Gerardi> make: *** [install_dev] Error 2

Is there a directory /usr/local on your system?

Does the user your running 'make install' with have permission to
write to the /usr/local directory?

An alternative, if you have sudo privileges, is this:

    sudo make install

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         [hidden email]

Re: Problem with Last step in setup

Jakob Bohm-7
On 05/09/2017 17:37, Gerardi, Elio wrote:

> I am getting the following error when I run the ‘make install’ command
> on OPenSSL
>
> make install
>
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make depend &&
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make _all
>
> *** Installing development files
>
> Cannot create directory /usr/local/include: No such file or directory
>
> make: *** [install_dev] Error 2

Simple.

The default "make install" location for most UNIX-style software is in
the  /usr/local/ subtree.  The Linux community even created a standard
explaining the typical layout of Linux, which is based on decades of
UNIX tradition, with some choices made where traditions varied.

The intended typical use is to run the other make steps as a build user,
then running make install as someone with the (delegated) authority to
write to /usr/local (e.g. membership of a 'staff' group).

In the case of OpenSSL 0.9.x and 1.0.x, this value can be changed by
passing --openssldir=/some/dir/of/your/choice to Configure, but
unfortunately, this also causes the compiled code to expect things like
openssl.cnf to be located beneath that directory on all machines where
the binary code are run.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: Problem with Last step in setup

Michael Richardson

Gerardi, Elio <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > I am getting the following error when I run the ‘make install’ command on
    > OPenSSL

    > make install

    > /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make depend &&
    > /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make _all

    > *** Installing development files

    > Cannot create directory /usr/local/include: No such file or directory

Probably because you don't have a /usr/local/include, and it isn't
autocreated ("mkdir -p"), and you aren't running this as root.

(maybe you want to install it some place other than /usr/local?)

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [

Re: Problem with Last step in setup

Gerardi, Elio
Looks like changing to root did it….Sometimes when your string at the screen for hours doing other things, the answer passes you by….Thanks for the support

Elio Gerardi – Cloud Architect
Hyperscaler GTM team
Cloud Business Unit

cloud.netapp.com

NetApp

646.313.3079 Direct Phone

914.419.0396 Mobile Phone

[hidden email] <applewebdata://05C01801-4BEA-40E4-987E-E4872D470C6C/[hidden email]>

 <http://netapp-insight.com/>