Participate in Code Health Tuesday (tomorrow, Feb 28th)

Participate in Code Health Tuesday (tomorrow, Feb 28th)

Emilia Käsper-2
Hi OpenSSL developers!

We’re always looking for ways to improve code quality and pay our technical debt. This week we thought we’d run a little experiment.

We declare this Tuesday (Feb 28th) Code Health Tuesday. We’ll be setting some time aside to do cleanups in the codebase. The theme is “Delete”: we’ll be cleaning up unused files, dead code, and obsolete hacks. We invite you all to participate on Github!

Cheers,
Emilia

FAQ:

Q: How do I participate?
A: Find something to delete. Create a Github pull request and add the “code-health” label. We’ll be monitoring Github for quick turnaround.

Q: Which branches should I target?
A: You should target master. In stable branches, code churn comes with a cost, so let’s focus on the next release.

Q: What can I delete?
A: Normal compatibility rules apply. You cannot delete anything from public headers, remove command-line tool options or prune supported platform configurations. You can delete dead code, obsolete workarounds (16-bit platforms!) and outdated documentation. If you’re not sure about a particular functionality, open a Github issue and add the “code health” label.

Q: Do you have any tools to find what to delete?
A: We have a coverage report: https://coveralls.io/github/openssl/openssl
We’ll also be setting up a tools repo where you can share any tools that you build.

Q: Will you do it again?
A: We hope so! This is an experiment but we’ll be looking into making it a habit. We have a list of ideas for themed Tuesdays lined up: Document, Test, Refactor, ...

Q: How did you come up with this idea?
A: We were looking at this file…

Re: Participate in Code Health Tuesday (tomorrow, Feb 28th)

Short, Todd
I’m not sure us mere mortals can add a label to a PR...
--
-Todd Short
// "One if by land, two if by sea, three if by the Internet."

On Feb 27, 2017, at 5:04 AM, Emilia Käsper <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi OpenSSL developers!

We’re always looking for ways to improve code quality and pay our technical debt. This week we thought we’d run a little experiment.

We declare this Tuesday (Feb 28th) Code Health Tuesday. We’ll be setting some time aside to do cleanups in the codebase. The theme is “Delete”: we’ll be cleaning up unused files, dead code, and obsolete hacks. We invite you all to participate on Github!

Cheers,
Emilia

FAQ:

Q: How do I participate?
A: Find something to delete. Create a Github pull request and add the “code-health” label. We’ll be monitoring Github for quick turnaround.

Q: Which branches should I target?
A: You should target master. In stable branches, code churn comes with a cost, so let’s focus on the next release.

Q: What can I delete?
A: Normal compatibility rules apply. You cannot delete anything from public headers, remove command-line tool options or prune supported platform configurations. You can delete dead code, obsolete workarounds (16-bit platforms!) and outdated documentation. If you’re not sure about a particular functionality, open a Github issue and add the “code health” label.

Q: Do you have any tools to find what to delete?
A: We have a coverage report: https://coveralls.io/github/openssl/openssl
We’ll also be setting up a tools repo where you can share any tools that you build.

Q: Will you do it again?
A: We hope so! This is an experiment but we’ll be looking into making it a habit. We have a list of ideas for themed Tuesdays lined up: Document, Test, Refactor, ...

Q: How did you come up with this idea?
A: We were looking at this file…

Re: Participate in Code Health Tuesday (tomorrow, Feb 28th)

Emilia Käsper-2
Ah... Well, just add "Code Health" to your PR title, and we'll do the labeling.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 3:54 PM Short, Todd <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m not sure us mere mortals can add a label to a PR...
--
-Todd Short
// "One if by land, two if by sea, three if by the Internet."

On Feb 27, 2017, at 5:04 AM, Emilia Käsper <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi OpenSSL developers!

We’re always looking for ways to improve code quality and pay our technical debt. This week we thought we’d run a little experiment.

We declare this Tuesday (Feb 28th) Code Health Tuesday. We’ll be setting some time aside to do cleanups in the codebase. The theme is “Delete”: we’ll be cleaning up unused files, dead code, and obsolete hacks. We invite you all to participate on Github!

Cheers,
Emilia

FAQ:

Q: How do I participate?
A: Find something to delete. Create a Github pull request and add the “code-health” label. We’ll be monitoring Github for quick turnaround.

Q: Which branches should I target?
A: You should target master. In stable branches, code churn comes with a cost, so let’s focus on the next release.

Q: What can I delete?
A: Normal compatibility rules apply. You cannot delete anything from public headers, remove command-line tool options or prune supported platform configurations. You can delete dead code, obsolete workarounds (16-bit platforms!) and outdated documentation. If you’re not sure about a particular functionality, open a Github issue and add the “code health” label.

Q: Do you have any tools to find what to delete?
A: We have a coverage report: https://coveralls.io/github/openssl/openssl
We’ll also be setting up a tools repo where you can share any tools that you build.

Q: Will you do it again?
A: We hope so! This is an experiment but we’ll be looking into making it a habit. We have a list of ideas for themed Tuesdays lined up: Document, Test, Refactor, ...

Q: How did you come up with this idea?
A: We were looking at this file…

Re: Participate in Code Health Tuesday (tomorrow, Feb 28th)

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
I'd suggest prefixing the PR subject with "code-health:" or
"[code-health]", just like work in progress is prefixed "WIP:" or
"[WIP]"

Cheers,
Richard

In message <[hidden email]> on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 14:54:09 +0000, "Short, Todd" <[hidden email]> said:

tshort> I’m not sure us mere mortals can add a label to a PR...
tshort> --
tshort> -Todd Short
tshort> // [hidden email]
tshort> // "One if by land, two if by sea, three if by the Internet."
tshort>
tshort>     On Feb 27, 2017, at 5:04 AM, Emilia Käsper <[hidden email]>
tshort>     wrote:
tshort>
tshort>
tshort>
tshort>
tshort>     Hi OpenSSL developers!
tshort>
tshort>     We’re always looking for ways to improve code quality and pay our
tshort>     technical debt. This week we thought we’d run a little experiment.
tshort>
tshort>     We declare this Tuesday (Feb 28th) Code Health Tuesday. We’ll be
tshort>     setting some time aside to do cleanups in the codebase. The theme
tshort>     is “Delete”: we’ll be cleaning up unused files, dead code, and
tshort>     obsolete hacks. We invite you all to participate on Github!
tshort>
tshort>
tshort>     Cheers,
tshort>     Emilia
tshort>
tshort>     FAQ:
tshort>
tshort>     Q: How do I participate?
tshort>     A: Find something to delete. Create a Github pull request and add
tshort>     the “code-health” label. We’ll be monitoring Github for quick
tshort>     turnaround.
tshort>
tshort>     Q: Which branches should I target?
tshort>     A: You should target master. In stable branches, code churn comes
tshort>     with a cost, so let’s focus on the next release.
tshort>
tshort>     Q: What can I delete?
tshort>     A: Normal compatibility rules apply. You cannot delete anything
tshort>     from public headers, remove command-line tool options or prune
tshort>     supported platform configurations. You can delete dead code,
tshort>     obsolete workarounds (16-bit platforms!) and outdated
tshort>     documentation. If you’re not sure about a particular
tshort>     functionality, open a Github issue and add the “code health”
tshort>     label.
tshort>
tshort>     Q: Do you have any tools to find what to delete?
tshort>     A: We have a coverage report:
tshort>     https://coveralls.io/github/openssl/openssl
tshort>     We’ll also be setting up a tools repo where you can share any
tshort>     tools that you build.
tshort>
tshort>     Q: Will you do it again?
tshort>     A: We hope so! This is an experiment but we’ll be looking into
tshort>     making it a habit. We have a list of ideas for themed Tuesdays
tshort>     lined up: Document, Test, Refactor, ...
tshort>
tshort>     Q: How did you come up with this idea?
tshort>     A: We were looking at this file…
tshort>     https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/crypto/pkcs7/pk7_dgst.c
tshort>
tshort>     --
tshort>     openssl-dev mailing list
tshort>     To unsubscribe:
tshort>
tshort>

Re: Participate in Code Health Tuesday (tomorrow, Feb 28th)

Emilia Käsper-2
This is happening NOW :)

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20label%3Acode-health