Openssl async support

ASHIQUE CK
Hi all,

I have some queries regarding OpenSSL async operation.

Current setup
-------------
I have one OpenSSL dynamic engine (with RSA and AES-GCM support) and linked it with Nginx server. Multiple WGET commands on the client side.

Current issue
-------------
  Since OpenSSL do_cipher call (the function in which actual AES-GCM encryption/decryption happening) comes from one client at a time which is reducing file downloading performance. So we need an asynchronous operation in OpenSSL ie. we need multiple do_cipher calls at the same time from which we should submit requests to HW without affecting the incoming requests and should wait for HW output.

Queries
--------
 1) Is there is any other scheme for multiple do_cipher calls at a time?.
 2) Any method to enable asynchronous call from OpenSSL?

Versions

Re: Openssl async support

ASHIQUE CK
Hi all,

I truly understand that everyone might be busy with your work and didn't found time to reply. That's okay, but incase you have accidendly forgot to reply, please accept this as a gentle reminder.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 6:11 PM ASHIQUE CK <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paul Yang-2
Read this: https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/crypto/ASYNC_start_job.html

Usually async operations happen in engines when they need to talk to hardware but you can still utilize async mechanism in pure software if you have the scenario

On Dec 18, 2018, at 18:36, ASHIQUE CK <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

          Thanks for the earlier reply. But still Iam facing issue regarding the asynchronous job operation.

           I have implemented asynchronous job operation partially. I am now getting requests asynchronously ie. getting the next request after calling ASYNC_pause_job from the first request. But I am unable to resume the paused jobs after job completion.

Test setup consists of a nginx server and three SSL client apps.

I have got the first 16kb processing request (AES-GCM encryption/decryption) from client1 and have submitted the request to the engine and done ASYNC_pause_job, so client1 entered into waiting state. But when we run the client2 app, the first job went into ASYNC_FINISH state before job completion. Similarly, when we run the client3 app, the second job went into ASYNC_FINISH state. Can you help regarding this?

On 27/12/2018 15:07, ASHIQUE CK wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>           Thanks for the earlier reply. But still Iam facing issue regarding the
> asynchronous job operation.
>
>            I have implemented asynchronous job operation partially. I am now
> getting requests asynchronously ie. getting the next request after calling
> ASYNC_pause_job from the first request. But I am unable to resume the paused
> jobs after job completion.
>
> Test setup consists of a nginx server and three SSL client apps.
>
> I have got the first 16kb processing request (AES-GCM encryption/decryption)
> from client1 and have submitted the request to the engine and done
> ASYNC_pause_job, so client1 entered into waiting state. But when we run the
> client2 app, the first job went into ASYNC_FINISH state before job completion.
> Similarly, when we run the client3 app, the second job went into ASYNC_FINISH
> state. Can you help regarding this?

It's unclear from your description what you are doing or what exactly the issue
is. Are you able to share some code to show us what is happening?

Matt