Openssl DTLS performance

OpenSSL - User mailing list
Hi all,

We are building VPN using OpenSSL 1.1.0e.  VPN can work with TLS and DTLS. The test server is Linux Ubuntu 16.04 and client windows 7/10.

We tested using dummy net with different parameters like  0.1/0.2 /.5% packet drop and 20 ms delay. In this scenario, DTLS shows marginal 5 to 7% poor performance than TLS under different network conditions. We are using async socket. epoll on linux and select on the windows side.

Do we know any known performance limitation with DTLS in existing OpenSSL lib?

Thanks in advance
Anand