Openssl 1.1 RSA_get0_key() documentation

Openssl 1.1 RSA_get0_key() documentation

Ken Goldman-2
The __current__ code for this function returns values if the **BIGNUM is
not NULL.  Thus, it appears safe to pass in NULL for values not needed.

However, the documentation is silent on this behavior.

If this behavior is guaranteed, it would be nice if it was documented.

If not, a comment in the code to than effect would be useful.

Re: Openssl 1.1 RSA_get0_key() documentation

OpenSSL - User mailing list
> The __current__ code for this function returns values if the **BIGNUM is
> not NULL.  Thus, it appears safe to pass in NULL for values not needed.

Yes.  That's true for many "get" functions.

> However, the documentation is silent on this behavior.
>
> If this behavior is guaranteed, it would be nice if it was documented.

Wanna open an issue to fix the doc? :)

On 7/28/2017 4:05 PM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users wrote:
>> The __current__ code for this function returns values if the **BIGNUM is
>> not NULL.  Thus, it appears safe to pass in NULL for values not needed.
>

>> If this behavior is guaranteed, it would be nice if it was documented.
>
> Wanna open an issue to fix the doc? :)

I'd be happy to, but I don't know how.

I'd also be willing to help with documentation, if that's possible.

Re: Openssl 1.1 RSA_get0_key() documentation

Matt Caswell-2

On 28/07/17 21:15, Ken Goldman wrote:

> On 7/28/2017 4:05 PM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users wrote:
>>> The __current__ code for this function returns values if the **BIGNUM is
>>> not NULL.  Thus, it appears safe to pass in NULL for values not needed.
>>

>>> If this behavior is guaranteed, it would be nice if it was documented.
>>
>> Wanna open an issue to fix the doc? :)
>>

> I'd be happy to, but I don't know how.

Click "New Issue" on this page:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues

You'll need a github user id.

> I'd also be willing to help with documentation, if that's possible.

It is possible. Make the relevant changes (file
doc/man3/RSA_get0_key.pod) in a recent checkout of master and then
create a github pull request:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pulls

Re: Openssl 1.1 RSA_get0_key() documentation -> needs-cla

Ken Goldman-2
"openssl-users" <[hidden email]> wrote on 07/31/2017 09:20:59 AM:

> From: Matt Caswell <[hidden email]>

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: 07/31/2017 09:21 AM
>

> Click "New Issue" on this page:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues

> You'll need a github user id.
>

> > I'd also be willing to help with documentation, if that's possible.
>
> It is possible. Make the relevant changes (file
> doc/man3/RSA_get0_key.pod) in a recent checkout of master and then
> create a github pull request:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pulls

I have an ID, but the pull request is marked needs-cla.

How do I sign it?

On 31/07/17 15:31, Kenneth Goldman wrote:

> "openssl-users" <[hidden email]> wrote on 07/31/2017
> 09:20:59 AM:
>
>> From: Matt Caswell <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Date: 07/31/2017 09:21 AM
>>
>> Click "New Issue" on this page:
>>
>> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues
>>
>> You'll need a github user id.
>>

>> > I'd also be willing to help with documentation, if that's possible.
>>
>> It is possible. Make the relevant changes (file
>> doc/man3/RSA_get0_key.pod) in a recent checkout of master and then
>> create a github pull request:
>>
>> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pulls
>
> I have an ID, but the pull request is marked needs-cla.
>
> How do I sign it?

I just posted some commentary on that in the PR itself. Short answer, see:

https://www.openssl.org/policies/cla.html