Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

Robin Rowe-2
Trying to build Qt with openssl. Built openssl with VC++ 2013 without
incident. However, the header files don't look right.

The file openssl/include/ssl.h contains one line:

../../ssl/ssl.h

This doesn't look like C++ to me. I see no reason it should compile. All
the openssl include files seem to be like this. I'd understand if it had
this:

#include "../../ssl/ssl.h"

But, it doesn't. Qt won't build with it like this.

Configured openssl like this:

perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:\Qt\openssl-1.0.1f\openssl-1.0.1f\release

Suggestions?

Robin
--
Robin Rowe
Project Manager
CinePaint.org
Beverly Hills, California
www.cinepaint.org


______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

Robin Rowe
Trying to build Qt with openssl. Built openssl with VC++ 2013 without
incident. However, the header files don't look right.

The file openssl/include/ssl.h contains one line:

../../ssl/ssl.h

This doesn't look like C++ to me. I see no reason it should compile. All
the openssl include files seem to be like this. I'd understand if it had
this:

#include "../../ssl/ssl.h"

But, it doesn't. Qt won't build with it like this.

Configured openssl like this:

perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:\Qt\openssl-1.0.1f\openssl-1.0.1f\release

Suggestions?

Robin
--
Robin Rowe
Project Manager
CinePaint.org
Beverly Hills, California
www.cinepaint.org





______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

Michael Wojcik
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:owner-openssl-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Robin Rowe
> Sent: Wednesday, 05 March, 2014 14:55
>
> Trying to build Qt with openssl. Built openssl with VC++ 2013 without
> incident. However, the header files don't look right.
>
> The file openssl/include/ssl.h contains one line:
>
> ../../ssl/ssl.h
>
> This doesn't look like C++ to me.

It isn't. It's a symlink.

> Configured openssl like this:
>
> perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:\Qt\openssl-1.0.1f\openssl-1.0.1f\release
>
> Suggestions?

Some Windows Perl implementations work; some don't. With OpenSSL 1.0.1c on 32- and 64-bit versions of Win7 and Win2008, we've had to use ActiveState Perl (as opposed to, say, Cygwin Perl) *and* wrap it in a trivial program that sleeps for a couple of seconds after the real perl binary exits, if the latter's exit code was zero, to work around another Windows-and-Perl issue.

(That second issue, if anyone's curious, is the dreaded missing-END-statement error from masm or ml64, apparently caused by Windows' lazy filesystem-cache writing policy.)

I haven't tried OpenSSL 1.0.1f and VS 2013 yet, but the "trying to use symlinks as headers" may be due to using a Perl that isn't handling things properly.

Or you can just fix this manually - for every filename in openssl/include, find the real file in the OpenSSL source tree and copy it to a temporary directory. Then replace your symlink-filled openssl/include with the temporary directory.

--
Michael Wojcik
Technology Specialist, Micro Focus




This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

J. J. Farrell-2
> From: Michael Wojcik [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 9:33 PM
>
> > From: Robin Rowe
> > Sent: Wednesday, 05 March, 2014 14:55
> >
> > Trying to build Qt with openssl. Built openssl with VC++ 2013 without
> > incident. However, the header files don't look right.
> >
> > The file openssl/include/ssl.h contains one line:
> >
> > ../../ssl/ssl.h
> >
> > This doesn't look like C++ to me.
>
> It isn't. It's a symlink.
> ...
> Some Windows Perl implementations work; some don't. With OpenSSL 1.0.1c
> on 32- and 64-bit versions of Win7 and Win2008, we've had to use
> ActiveState Perl (as opposed to, say, Cygwin Perl) *and* wrap it in a
> trivial program that sleeps for a couple of seconds after the real perl
> binary exits, if the latter's exit code was zero, to work around
> another Windows-and-Perl issue.
>
> (That second issue, if anyone's curious, is the dreaded missing-END-
> statement error from masm or ml64, apparently caused by Windows' lazy
> filesystem-cache writing policy.)
> ...

Strawberry Perl worked for me with 1.0.1e and previous versions, without needing any added workarounds. I don't use VC++ 2013, though I don't think the compiler is relevant to this problem.
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

Robin Rowe
On 3/5/2014 2:36 PM, Jeremy Farrell wrote:
> Strawberry Perl worked for me with 1.0.1e and previous versions, without needing any added workarounds.

Interesting, I used Strawberry, not ActiveState Perl, and got broken
symlinks.

Robin
--
Robin Rowe
Project Manager
CinePaint.org
Beverly Hills, California
www.cinepaint.org

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

J. J. Farrell-2
> From: Robin Rowe [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:51 PM
>
> On 3/5/2014 2:36 PM, Jeremy Farrell wrote:
> > Strawberry Perl worked for me with 1.0.1e and previous versions,
> > without needing any added workarounds.
>
> Interesting, I used Strawberry, not ActiveState Perl, and got broken
> symlinks.

Strawberry version 5.12.3.0 is what worked for me, I guess versions
are likely to be relevant. I had used ActiveState to build OpenSSL
in the dim and distant past, but moved to Strawberry to avoid some
problem which I can't recall.
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

Dr. Stephen Henson
In reply to this post by Robin Rowe
On Wed, Mar 05, 2014, Robin Rowe wrote:

> Trying to build Qt with openssl. Built openssl with VC++ 2013 without
> incident. However, the header files don't look right.
>
> The file openssl/include/ssl.h contains one line:
>
> ../../ssl/ssl.h
>
> This doesn't look like C++ to me. I see no reason it should compile. All
> the openssl include files seem to be like this. I'd understand if it had
> this:
>
> #include "../../ssl/ssl.h"
>
> But, it doesn't. Qt won't build with it like this.
>
> Configured openssl like this:
>
> perl Configure VC-WIN32 --prefix=c:\Qt\openssl-1.0.1f\openssl-1.0.1f\release
>
> Suggestions?
>

What other commands did you use to build it?

OpenSSL with VC build should be using the perl script util/copy.pl for copying
and not symlinking at all. The header files should also be under the inc32
directory in the source directory.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson. OpenSSL project core developer.
Commercial tech support now available see: http://www.openssl.org
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Openssl 1.01f installs broken headers using VC++ 2013

Thomas J. Hruska
In reply to this post by J. J. Farrell-2
On 3/5/2014 3:36 PM, Jeremy Farrell wrote:

>> From: Michael Wojcik [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 9:33 PM
>>
>>> From: Robin Rowe
>>> Sent: Wednesday, 05 March, 2014 14:55
>>>
>>> Trying to build Qt with openssl. Built openssl with VC++ 2013 without
>>> incident. However, the header files don't look right.
>>>
>>> The file openssl/include/ssl.h contains one line:
>>>
>>> ../../ssl/ssl.h
>>>
>>> This doesn't look like C++ to me.
>>
>> It isn't. It's a symlink.
>> ...
>> Some Windows Perl implementations work; some don't. With OpenSSL 1.0.1c
>> on 32- and 64-bit versions of Win7 and Win2008, we've had to use
>> ActiveState Perl (as opposed to, say, Cygwin Perl) *and* wrap it in a
>> trivial program that sleeps for a couple of seconds after the real perl
>> binary exits, if the latter's exit code was zero, to work around
>> another Windows-and-Perl issue.
>>
>> (That second issue, if anyone's curious, is the dreaded missing-END-
>> statement error from masm or ml64, apparently caused by Windows' lazy
>> filesystem-cache writing policy.)
>> ...
>
> Strawberry Perl worked for me with 1.0.1e and previous versions, without needing any added workarounds. I don't use VC++ 2013, though I don't think the compiler is relevant to this problem.

I second the use of Strawberry Perl.  I've had no issues.  I use the
portable version of Strawberry Perl to build OpenSSL binaries.
ActiveState got too annoying to work with.

--
Thomas Hruska
Shining Light Productions

Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.
http://www.slproweb.com/
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]