OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

prithiraj das
I am using OpenSSL 1.1.1 from OpenSSL's website and trying to build OpenSSL on a Windows 64 bit machine using Perl 64 bit version and nasm v2.13.03. I have used the no-shared option in the Perl Configure to only build the static library and the resulting size of the libcrypto.lib file is almost 19 MB. The .exe file generated is 3173 KB. RSA functionality (keypair generation, encryption, decryption) is what we all need and as per the need, the goal is to reduce libcrypto.lib to less than 3 MB. Using the generated .exe file is not an option.
Please suggest ways to reduce the libcrypto.lib size to less than 3 MB on this 64 bit machine keeping only RSA functionality.
 And, is it possible by any chance that the size of libcrypto.lib will be smaller if OpenSSL is being built on a Windows 32 bit machine using a Windows 32 bit configuration option VC-WIN32?

Thanks and Regards,
Prithiraj

Re: OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

prithiraj das
Hi All,

Please accept this as a gentle reminder to the previous mail in the mailchain. And also would a custom makefile (if created for this purpose) help in this regard?

Thanks and Regards,
Prithiraj

On 21/12/2018 06:12, prithiraj das wrote:

> I am using OpenSSL 1.1.1 from OpenSSL's website and trying to build OpenSSL on a
> Windows 64 bit machine using Perl 64 bit version and nasm v2.13.03. I have used
> the *no-shared* option in the Perl Configure to only build the static library
> and the resulting size of the *libcrypto.lib* file is almost 19 MB. The *.exe*
> file generated is 3173 KB. RSA functionality (keypair generation, encryption,
> decryption) is what we all need and as per the need, the goal is to
> reduce *libcrypto.lib *to less than 3 MB. Using the generated .exe file is not
> an option.
> Please suggest ways to reduce the libcrypto.lib size to less than 3 MB on this
> 64 bit machine keeping only RSA functionality.
>  And, is it possible by any chance that the size of libcrypto.lib will be
> smaller if OpenSSL is being built on a Windows 32 bit machine using a Windows 32
> bit configuration option VC-WIN32?

You can try adding "-DOPENSSL_SMALL_FOOTPRINT" onto the end of your Configure
line. You might also want to experiment with the various "no-*" options
described in the INSTALL file.

Re: OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

If all you need is RSA then you will probably find it easier to write a makefile of your own. You will have to do multiple builds to get all the missing pieces, such as the BN facility, the memory allocation, the error stack, etc.

Re: OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

prithiraj das
Please find the above previous mail.

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 at 19:29, Salz, Rich via openssl-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

If all you need is RSA then you will probably find it easier to write a makefile of your own. You will have to do multiple builds to get all the missing pieces, such as the BN facility, the memory allocation, the error stack, etc.

Re: OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

Devadas kk
This sounds the simple and optimal approach for the problem stated.

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018, 12:59 am Salz, Rich via openssl-users <[hidden email] wrote:

If all you need is RSA then you will probably find it easier to write a makefile of your own. You will have to do multiple builds to get all the missing pieces, such as the BN facility, the memory allocation, the error stack, etc.

Re: OpenSSL v1.1.1 static library size reduction

  • Please find the above previous mail.

I am not sure what this means.  I guess you are referring to earlier email in the thread.  I gave you my suggestion, good luck.