OpenSSL on VxWorks

Kyran-2
Hello,

This is a follow up to an earlier post I made with regard to some
problems I'm facing in running some code that uses OpenSSL on
VxWorks. The same code, with the same certificate files runs on
Solaris, Linux and Windows. On VxWorks, however, I get:

30209:error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate:s3_pkt.c:1054:SSL alert number 42

This happens when I try to initiate a TLS client connection to a
previously opened TLS server.

What is this error usually caused by, and where should I begin
to look for a solution?

Thanks much for any ideas.

Re: OpenSSL on VxWorks

Kyran-2
From what I've read about it, this error seems to
indicate that the server certificate could not be
verified by the client opening the connection. Is
this correct?

If so, that would indicate a problem with the
certificates I've generated, but I've followed the
OpenSSL book to do so, and the same certificate
files are used with this code on other OSes with
no difficulty.

What could the problem be?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

> This is a follow up to an earlier post I made with regard to some
> problems I'm facing in running some code that uses OpenSSL on
> VxWorks. The same code, with the same certificate files runs on
> Solaris, Linux and Windows. On VxWorks, however, I get:
>
> 30209:error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad
> certificate:s3_pkt.c:1054:SSL alert number 42
>
> This happens when I try to initiate a TLS client connection to a
> previously opened TLS server.
>
> What is this error usually caused by, and where should I begin
> to look for a solution?
>
> Thanks much for any ideas.

Re: OpenSSL on VxWorks

Kyran-2
One more try... anyone? :-)

> indicate that the server certificate could not be
> verified by the client opening the connection. Is
> this correct?
>
> If so, that would indicate a problem with the
> certificates I've generated, but I've followed the
> OpenSSL book to do so, and the same certificate
> files are used with this code on other OSes with
> no difficulty.
>
> What could the problem be?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

RE: OpenSSL on VxWorks

Fell, Anthony
I don't have an answer, but I can commiserate.  We have built OpenSSL
for VxWorks and are having trouble during the certificate verification
process; in our case, a server certificate that is valid and is verified
correctly by an SSL client on Windows XP (using the CA's certificate),
is declared expired by the OpenSSL client running on VxWorks.  I will
post again if we resolve the issue.

Tony

> server certificate could not be verified by the client opening the
> connection. Is this correct?
>
> If so, that would indicate a problem with the certificates I've
> generated, but I've followed the OpenSSL book to do so, and the same
> certificate files are used with this code on other OSes with no
> difficulty.
>
> What could the problem be?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Re: OpenSSL on VxWorks

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005, Fell, Anthony wrote:

> I don't have an answer, but I can commiserate.  We have built OpenSSL
> for VxWorks and are having trouble during the certificate verification
> process; in our case, a server certificate that is valid and is verified
> correctly by an SSL client on Windows XP (using the CA's certificate),
> is declared expired by the OpenSSL client running on VxWorks.  I will
> post again if we resolve the issue.

Haven't seen that one reported before. The usual check is that the system time
is set correctly and that OpenSSL can correctly generate an appropriate
certificate time fields. The way OpenSSL checks certificate validity is
closely related to generation of time fields (UTCTime usually but
occasionally GeneralizedTime).

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

OpenSSL compilation for mips

Krishna M Singh
Hi All

I am trying to compile OpenSSL over mips for big-endian. It compiles and links well for ppc
vxworks box but for mips Bigendian it compiles well. But when we try to link the mips OpenSSL
library with our SSL client, it shows following error

usr/local/tools/wind/mips/host/sun4-solaris2/bin/ldmips: x_pkey.o: compiled for a little endian
system and target is big endian
File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
/user/dpchss/mips/libcrypto.a(x_pkey.o)
/usr/local/tools/wind/mips/host/sun4-solaris2/bin/ldmips: x_exten.o: compiled for a little endian
system and target is big endian

I was using vxworks-mipsle option (even tried to conver DL_ENDIAN to DB_ENDIAN in Configure file
but didn't worked) of the Configure file. appears somehow mips lib generated is for Little endian.
I was to generate for mips Big endian format.

Anybody who has worked on similar stuff please update me asap.

thanks in advance.
-Krish

Re: OpenSSL compilation for mips

vijay basav
hi
i have compiled openssl for vxworks big_endian and it seemed to work fine.
The changes to be done in configure file is replace DL_ENDIAN by DB_ENDIAN, -EL by -EB, include these  -mips2,  -DCPU=MIPS32, -DMIPSLE

regards
vijay

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: OpenSSL compilation for mips

Krishna M Singh
Hi Vijay

I have tried all the combinations. My mipsle string is modified to with all EL in -EL, MISPLE etc
change to EB.
Our platform makefile has DBIG_ENDIAn even tried that but it didin't helped. I am using
OpenSSL9.7e.

Can you please pass me the vxworks-mipsle string with which u are able to compile and link for BIG
endian mips platform.

here is Configure's vxworks-mipsle for big endian at my end that still makes the build in little
endian..

"vxworks-mipsle","ccmips:-B\$(WIND_BASE)/host/\$(WIND_HOST_TYPE)/lib/gcc-lib/ -DB_ENDIAN -EB
-Wl,-EB -mips2 -mno-branch-likely -G 0 -fno-builtin -msoft-float -DCPU=MIPS32 -DMIPSEB
-DNO_STRINGS_H -I\$(WIND_BASE)/target/h:::VXWORKS:-r::::::::::::::::ranlibm
ips:",

Thanks in Advance
-Krishna