OpenSSL: ASYNC operations and application callback function.

OpenSSL: ASYNC operations and application callback function.

Narasimha Nayak

Hello All,

I am investigating the usage of OpenSSL v1.1.1.c with QAT offload.

As part of the investigation to enable ASYNC mode for SSL ops I came across the possibility of providing callbacks via “SSL_CTX_set_async_callback”, and not use poll/select as required earlier.

The callback functionality has been added via commit (https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/9f5a87fd665cb597fa1c1f4eef882d2d2f833e61) in Nov, 2018.

These changes are not yet part of OpenSSL v1.1.1c/d.

Hence I would like to understand the following:

  1. Is this feature complete and use-able with QAT engine provided by Intel for OpenSSL ? Are there any drawbacks to be aware of ?
  2. Do we have any examples to depict the usage for these APIs ? Will help to know if there are any corner cases to handle.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

--

Thanks and Regards,

Narasimha