OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER representation

Edward Diener-3
The latest documentation for OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER at
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/crypto/OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER.html
says that it is 9 hex digits, with the last nibble being a status
identifier, while every use I have seen of it in header files treats it
as 8 hex digits. Can anybody straighten me out on this ?

Also the latest documentation give it as

MNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status

where the examples in that documentation clearly show it as

MMNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status

Can anybody straighten me out on this ?

I would like to use the OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER at compile time to choose
between functionality for version 1.1.0 and version 1.0.x but the
confusion in my mind of how OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER actually is specified
is making that impossible.

Re: OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER representation

Tomas Mraz-2
On Wed, 2018-05-02 at 08:19 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:

> The latest documentation for OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER at
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/crypto/OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER.h
> tml
> says that it is 9 hex digits, with the last nibble being a status
> identifier, while every use I have seen of it in header files treats
> it
> as 8 hex digits. Can anybody straighten me out on this ?
>
> Also the latest documentation give it as
>
> MNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status
>
> where the examples in that documentation clearly show it as
>
> MMNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status
>
> Can anybody straighten me out on this ?

That's because 0x1 and 0x01 are the same numbers.

For example version 1.1.0a: 0x01010001f == 0x1010001f

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb

On 5/2/2018 8:30 AM, Tomas Mraz wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-05-02 at 08:19 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:
>> The latest documentation for OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER at
>> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/crypto/OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER.h
>> tml
>> says that it is 9 hex digits, with the last nibble being a status
>> identifier, while every use I have seen of it in header files treats
>> it
>> as 8 hex digits. Can anybody straighten me out on this ?
>>
>> Also the latest documentation give it as
>>
>> MNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status
>>
>> where the examples in that documentation clearly show it as
>>
>> MMNNFFPPS: major minor fix patch status
>>
>> Can anybody straighten me out on this ?
>
> That's because 0x1 and 0x01 are the same numbers.
>
> For example version 1.1.0a: 0x01010001f == 0x1010001f

Thanks ! I guess version 16 of openssl isn't planned for anytime soon <g>.