Need help regarding openssl errror

OpenSSL - User mailing list
Hello openssl users,

Need you help understanding the openssl error "error:140760FC:lib(20):func(118):reason(252)".  I am using SSL server on Windows machine and am successfully able to connect and make requests to this server from other Windows machine.
But when requests are being made with same set of certificates  from Solaris amd 64 machine I am getting this error.

While debugging I identified that this error is being thrown by SSL server during SSL_accept() call.

I tries searching about this error on Web but could not find meaningful answer. Please help me understand the issue and fix it or point me to the right forum where I can get answer for this.

Thanks & Regards,
Binod Kumar

Re: Need help regarding openssl errror

Matt Caswell-2

On 08/03/18 13:14, binod kumar via openssl-users wrote:

> Hello openssl users,
>
> Need you help understanding the openssl error
> "*error:140760FC:lib(20):func(118):reason(252)*".  I am using SSL server
> on Windows machine and am successfully able to connect and make requests
> to this server from other Windows machine.
> But when requests are being made with same set of certificates  from
> Solaris amd 64 machine I am getting this error.
>
> While debugging I identified that this error is being thrown by SSL
> server during SSL_accept() call.
>
> I tries searching about this error on Web but could not find meaningful
> answer. Please help me understand the issue and fix it or point me to
> the right forum where I can get answer for this.

You don't say what version of OpenSSL you are using. But I'm going to
assume OpenSSL 1.0.2:

$ openssl errstr 140760FC
error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol

So what you are getting is an "unknown protocol" error when processing
the initial message from the client. This means the server received
something from the client but it doesn't look like SSL/TLS.

You might want to use wireshark to see what is actually being sent.

Re: Need help regarding openssl errror

OpenSSL - User mailing list
Thanks a lot Matt and Wouter for taking time to look in to this problem and decoding this error code for me. I will try to analyze wireshark log and find that what is causing this error.

Will also try to use  ERR_load_crypto_strings() in the code.

Thanks again for quick help :) .

Regards,
Binod Kumar