Measuring the performance of OpenSSL

1.41421
   I'd be interested to obtain some OpenSSL performance measurement, in order to carry out comparisons against commercial implementations. The problem is, in their marketing sheets, such implementations frequently talk about the number of SSL transactions per second. What does that mean? For some it seems to be equivalent to the number of SSL handshakes per second, whereas others seem to consider a whole SSL dialogue, from connection to disconnection. Either intepretation contains so many ambiguities (especially the second one) such that, without further information, the figures given are meaningless.

  Can anybody throw some light in this issue? In particular, how can one draw a meaningful SSL performance comparison accross implementations?

Re: Measuring the performance of OpenSSL

Richard Salz
>   Can anybody throw some light in this issue? In particular, how can
> one draw a meaningful SSL performance comparison accross
implementations?

Figure out what your typical load is like and benchmark that.  For
example, 10,000 different clients connecting twice a day, and doing a
couple-dozen GETs of an average size of 30k.  There's just too much
variance otherwise, and no real way to normalize it.
        /r$
--
SOA Appliance Group
IBM Application Integration Middleware