Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

ahmad hassan
Hello,
I am using OpenSSL as a static library with my proprietary software for
windows OS. I would like to know what steps exactly i have to do pertaining
to licensing to link statically against openssl library.

Thank you.

RE: Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

JoelKatz

> Hello,
> I am using OpenSSL as a static library with my proprietary software for
> windows OS. I would like to know what steps exactly i have to do
> pertaining
> to licensing to link statically against openssl library.
>
> Thank you.

        Reading the OpenSSL license would be a good start. If you're in the United
States, I would read everything here as well:

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/encryption/guidance.htm

        Many other countries also restrict the export of encryption products.

        DS

Re: Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
In message <[hidden email]> on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:15:33 +0500, "ahmad hassan" <[hidden email]> said:

guideveloper123> I am using OpenSSL as a static library with my
guideveloper123> proprietary software for windows OS. I would like to
guideveloper123> know what steps exactly i have to do pertaining to
guideveloper123> licensing to link statically against openssl
guideveloper123> library.

Have you read the license file (LICENSE)?  It's a dual license, and
you must heed item 3 from both the "OpenSSL License" and the "Original
SSLeay License".  Other than that, just don't include "OpenSSL" in
your product name (item 5 in "OpenSSL License") and don't use "OpenSSL
Toolkit" or "OpenSSL Project" to endorse or promote your product (item
4 in "OpenSSL License") and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Richard

-----
See http://www.free.lp.se/sponsoring.html for details.

--
Richard Levitte                         [hidden email]
                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis

Re: Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

ahmad hassan
Hi,
Right, i would like to know point 3 and 6 in detail. What do u mean by
advertisement. Please explain it in a little detail. Does it have to come in
About box or what.

Thank you.

>From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email], [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software
>Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:01:15 +0200 (CEST)
>
>In message <[hidden email]> on Thu, 13 Oct 2005
>11:15:33 +0500, "ahmad hassan" <[hidden email]> said:
>
>guideveloper123> I am using OpenSSL as a static library with my
>guideveloper123> proprietary software for windows OS. I would like to
>guideveloper123> know what steps exactly i have to do pertaining to
>guideveloper123> licensing to link statically against openssl
>guideveloper123> library.
>
>Have you read the license file (LICENSE)?  It's a dual license, and
>you must heed item 3 from both the "OpenSSL License" and the "Original
>SSLeay License".  Other than that, just don't include "OpenSSL" in
>your product name (item 5 in "OpenSSL License") and don't use "OpenSSL
>Toolkit" or "OpenSSL Project" to endorse or promote your product (item
>4 in "OpenSSL License") and you'll be fine.
>
>Cheers,
>Richard
>
>-----
>Please consider sponsoring my work on free software.
>See http://www.free.lp.se/sponsoring.html for details.
>
>--
>Richard Levitte                         [hidden email]
>                                         http://richard.levitte.org/
>
>"When I became a man I put away childish things, including
>  the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
> -- C.S. Lewis

RE: Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

Rich Salz
> Many other countries also restrict the export of encryption products.

And some restrict the imports, as well.

        /r$

--
Rich Salz                  Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology       http://www.datapower.com

Re: Licensing conditions in OpenSSL with proprietary software

Rich Salz
> Right, i would like to know point 3 and 6 in detail. What do u mean by
> advertisement. Please explain it in a little detail. Does it have to come in
> About box or what.

You should consider getting a lawyer if you need legal advice.

At any rate, the most common practice is to put the OpenSSL/SSLeay
acknowledgement and copyright wherever you show your copyright and
"ownership" statement.