Lib names on Windows changed in OpenSSL 1.1.0

Lib names on Windows changed in OpenSSL 1.1.0

Ray Satiro
I am part of a project that has several build systems, and two in
particular are not dynamically generated, a makefile and a number of
Visual Studio project files, all of which link to ssleay32.lib and
libeay32.lib for OpenSSL. I've noticed in 1.1.0 the names were changed
to libssl.lib and libcrypto.lib. We would like for our project files to
be compatible with OpenSSL 1.1.0 and earlier versions, so that someone
can just open a project file and it will link to whatever version of
OpenSSL they're using. I am wondering if anyone else has brought this up
(searching I couldn't find anything), whether you have considered for
compatibility copying the libs to the old names, or if you have any
ideas for me. The project is cURL, https://github.com/curl/curl. Thanks

Re: Lib names on Windows changed in OpenSSL 1.1.0

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
In message <[hidden email]> on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 01:14:22 -0400, Ray Satiro <[hidden email]> said:

raysatiro> I am part of a project that has several build systems, and two in
raysatiro> particular are not dynamically generated, a makefile and a number of
raysatiro> Visual Studio project files, all of which link to ssleay32.lib and
raysatiro> libeay32.lib for OpenSSL. I've noticed in 1.1.0 the names were changed
raysatiro> to libssl.lib and libcrypto.lib. We would like for our project files
raysatiro> to be compatible with OpenSSL 1.1.0 and earlier versions, so that
raysatiro> someone can just open a project file and it will link to whatever
raysatiro> version of OpenSSL they're using. I am wondering if anyone else has
raysatiro> brought this up (searching I couldn't find anything), whether you have
raysatiro> considered for compatibility copying the libs to the old names, or if
raysatiro> you have any ideas for me. The project is cURL,
raysatiro> https://github.com/curl/curl. Thanks

I do recall discussing this quite a bit, back when the unified build
system was introduced, which was at the beginning of this year.  I
cannot currently recall exactly where the discussions were taking
place.  Some were on github, some were internal within the team.

As for your project file, you're talking about the stuff in winbuild/,
right?  I had a look here: https://github.com/curl/curl/tree/master/winbuild
So I'm wondering, couldn't you have something among the action lines
in https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/winbuild/Makefile.vc,
something like this?

        SET LIBCRYPTO_NAME=libcrypto
        SET LIBSSL_NAME=libssl
        IF EXIST libeay32.lib SET LIBCRYPTO_NAME=libeay32
        IF EXIST ssleay32.lib SET LIBSSL_NAME=ssleay32

And then make sure to use $(LIBCRYPTO_NAME) and $(LIBSSL_NAME) in
MakefileBuild.vc?

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         [hidden email]

Re: Lib names on Windows changed in OpenSSL 1.1.0

Erik Forsberg-11
Considering all of the API changes in 1.1, I think changing to the
new library names are actually very useful, no chance of accidentally using old DLLs