Leveraging a TLS handshake for a DTLS handshake ...

Leveraging a TLS handshake for a DTLS handshake ...

John Lane Schultz
Hello again,

My client application establishes both a TLS and a DTLS connection to its server.  The TLS connection is used for reliable FIFO communication (control plane) while the DTLS connection is used for nearly-reliable, out-of-order communication (data plane), using our own soft real time protocols.

The application uses the same certificate for both handshakes but always establishes the TLS connection first.

I was wondering if there was a way to leverage the work done for the TLS handshake to either eliminate the DTLS handshake or greatly reduce its burden, particularly on the server?

Cheers!

-----
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC