Issues establising SSL connection after a wget command

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issues establising SSL connection after a wget command

Eric Ntonfo

Hello,
I am running an Ubuntu 12.04 TLS server and can't use wget to download software packages
The command
fails with the following error

--2019-06-17 22:10:11--  http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
Resolving curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)... 2a04:4e42:9::561, 151.101.38.49
Connecting to curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)|2a04:4e42:9::561|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2 [following]
--2019-06-17 22:10:11--  https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
Connecting to curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)|2a04:4e42:9::561|:443... connected.
OpenSSL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version
Unable to establish SSL connection.

I am unable to fix this issue. I have upgraded from openssl 1.0.1 on my Ubuntu box to openssl 1.0.2 having heard that this latest version fix the bug
But still having it.

Can someone help please?
Regards
Eric
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues establising SSL connection after a wget command

Matt Caswell-2


On 17/06/2019 21:29, Eric Ntonfo wrote:

>
> Hello,
> I am running an Ubuntu 12.04 TLS server and can't use wget to download software
> packages
> The command
> wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
> fails with the following error
>
> --2019-06-17 22:10:11--  http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
> Resolving curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)... 2a04:4e42:9::561, 151.101.38.49
> Connecting to curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)|2a04:4e42:9::561|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
> Location: https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2 [following]
> --2019-06-17 22:10:11--  https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
> Connecting to curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)|2a04:4e42:9::561|:443... connected.
> *OpenSSL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert
> protocol version*
> Unable to establish SSL connection.

You get this error when the client is offering a version of TLS that is too low
for the server. I just did some tests and it appears that this server will
refuse to connect with anything less than TLSv1.2.

That should be fine with both OpenSSL 1.0.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.2. Both of those
support TLSv1.2 and will offer it by default. However an application can
override the defaults. My suspicion is that your version of wget is old and, for
some reason, is overriding the default TLS version and requiring some earlier
version.

Upgrading wget might work.

Matt


>
> I am unable to fix this issue. I have upgraded from openssl 1.0.1 on my Ubuntu
> box to openssl 1.0.2 having heard that this latest version fix the bug
> But still having it.
>
> Can someone help please?
> Regards
> Eric
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Issues establising SSL connection after a wget command

Eric Ntonfo
In reply to this post by Eric Ntonfo
Hello,
Please still looking forward to a suggestion of solution on my error:1407742E issue below
How can i fix this?
It's not only a matter of using wget. All commands that require to ocnnect to an SSL server are failing
Yhans a lot
Eric



On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 20:29 +0000, Eric Ntonfo wrote:

Hello,
I am running an Ubuntu 12.04 TLS server and can't use wget to download software packages
The command
fails with the following error

--2019-06-17 22:10:11--  http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
Resolving curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)... 2a04:4e42:9::561, 151.101.38.49
Connecting to curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)|2a04:4e42:9::561|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2 [following]
--2019-06-17 22:10:11--  https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.63.0.tar.bz2
Connecting to curl.haxx.se (curl.haxx.se)|2a04:4e42:9::561|:443... connected.
OpenSSL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version
Unable to establish SSL connection.

I am unable to fix this issue. I have upgraded from openssl 1.0.1 on my Ubuntu box to openssl 1.0.2 having heard that this latest version fix the bug
But still having it.

Can someone help please?
Regards
Eric


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues establising SSL connection after a wget command

OpenSSL - User mailing list

You posted on Monday about a problem, got one suggestion, and then you posted on Tuesday; not much patience. :)

 

My suggestion: use a current release, at least something in the 1.1.x line.