Isolating SHA Algorithm from openssl

Allen Rintoul

I wanted to isolate the code pretaining to sha256, so i started with
sha256t.c. But there are too many dependencies which i thought was out
of my tag search isolation. then i did an nm on sha256t, It used
ASN1_,BN_,BIO_,CRYPTO_,ENGINE_,
EVP_,OBJ_,OPENSSL_,RAND_,RSA_,X509_ functions. How can i reduce the
depencdecy can i tailor it in such a way that i can get the sha256 code
out. so that i can use it independently.

I could succesfully pulling out des, blowfish and aes. sice they were
pretty straigth forward.
i had the same problem in pulling out ECC ( but i went ahead with all
the dependencies ).
can some one tell me the pre-requisits that i should have before
attempting such a venture of tailoring openssl.

thx a lot for any help

RE: Isolating SHA Algorithm from openssl

Steven Reddie
If you're trying to extract an implementation of SHA-256 by starting with
sha256t.c you're on the wrong track.  That file is for testing sha256.

Steven Reddie wrote:

>If you're trying to extract an implementation of SHA-256 by starting with
>sha256t.c you're on the wrong track.  That file is for testing sha256.

This is my first try at openssl so i needed a starting point, so i
choose the test code, so that i would get a basic idea about the
sequence of function calls involved. And i need to produce a independent
executable that could test it too. hence the file sha256t.c ; One more
Q: is the sha implementation based on any rfc or is there any document
which would give me a functional overview of the implementation; or any
information on which the implementation is based on.
Thank a lot for any help.

Allen Rintoul wrote:

> Steven Reddie wrote:
>
>> If you're trying to extract an implementation of SHA-256 by starting
>> with
>> sha256t.c you're on the wrong track.  That file is for testing sha256.

I missed to put in the version i am using openssl-SNAP-20050630, What i
could make out from the makefile was that to produce the test binary
./sha256t , its linking libcrypto.a with sha256t.o ;
and i assumed sha256.c is the core file. Have i understood something
terribly wrong here ?????????

thanks for any help