Info Request

Luiggi Valles

Helo.

I'm trying to used OPENSSL to generate a sign XDAS-BES with PHP and I have some problem but the most important is the function exec().

I would like to know how I do that: the exec () function does not block the function of OpenSSL?

Can you please tell me more about this? Please.

Regards
Jose Valles

Re: Info Request

Jakob Bohm-7
On 09/08/2016 19:26, Luiggi Valles wrote:

>     Helo.
>
>     I'm trying to used OPENSSL to generate a sign XDAS-BES with PHP
>     and I have some problem but the most important is the function exec().
>
>     I would like to know howI do that: the exec () function does not
>     block the function of OpenSSL?
>
>     Can you please tell me more about this? Please.

Please clarify: Are you using generic PHP calls to run the
"openssl" command line program, or are you using a PHP
extension that wraps OpenSSL calls (and if so, which one).

Enjoy

Jakob

Openssl and floating point

Ken Goldman-2
We have a platform that does not support floating point operations.  We discovered that openssl uses floating point in the random number generator.

Is there any build or compile time flag that uses an alternative to floating point?

--
Ken Goldman   [hidden email]
914-945-2415 (862-2415)

Re: Openssl and floating point

Salz, Rich
> We have a platform that does not support floating point operations.  We discovered that openssl uses floating point in the random number generator.

There are other places, too, like bio_print, the poly135 code, etc.  Good luck...

> Is there any build or compile time flag that uses an alternative to floating point?
        -Ddouble=long
? :)

Re: Openssl and floating point

Jakob Bohm-7
(Top posting for consistency in this part of the thread)

Note, however that emulated floating point tends to add code
size and startup overhead even when not called.

Hence the need to compile with an option to not use floating
point at all, at least on platforms that don't have platform-
specific optimizations via hardware floating point (such as
the SSE optimizations for some operations on x86 or the VFP
optimizations on later ARM hardware types).

Rich suggested a "hackish" preprocessor trick, which depends
on no current or future OpenSSL code using floating point in
a way that is seriously broken by that trick.

On 10/08/2016 16:51, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> This is compiler-dependent, and because you didn't specify what
> platform you're targeting or what compiler you're using, there's no
> way for us to provide an answer. Check your compiler's documentation.
> GCC, for example, provides software-emulated floating point for
> platforms without hardware support.  Many other open-source and
> commercial compilers do as well.
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Kenneth Goldman <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>wrote:
>
>     We have a platform that does not support floating point
>     operations.  We discovered that openssl uses floating point in the
>     random number generator.
>
>     Is there any build or compile time flag that uses an alternative
>     to floating point?

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: Openssl and floating point

Short, Todd
The -Ddouble=long hack might very well cause problems with standard headers.

I’m assuming you are not talking about x86 or any other platform for which there is assembly support.

In such a case, I suggest #ifdef’ing out the code that you don’t care about, and making it into a configuration option, the submitting a patch for it.
There may be some use for this configuration, especially on low-power IoT-type things.

--
-Todd Short
// "One if by land, two if by sea, three if by the Internet."

On 8/11/2016 11:20 AM, Short, Todd wrote:

> In such a case, I suggest #ifdef’ing out the code that you don’t care
> about, and making it into a configuration option, the submitting a patch
> for it.

I wouldn't go near deciding what "I don't care about".  There is history
to non-experts #ifdef'ing out code in the random number generator and it
didn't go well.  :-(

Re: Openssl and floating point

Salz, Rich

> I wouldn't go near deciding what "I don't care about".  There is history to
> non-experts #ifdef'ing out code in the random number generator and it
> didn't go well.  :-(

True :)

The parameter here is a user-supplied measure of the entropy being added.  You can fix it to an integral constant appropriate for your platform.

There's really no need for it to be floating-point.  Oh well.