How do I mount a NAS device?

Ted Byers
I obtained a NAS, with a view toward running MySQL on a sever running
MS Small Business Server 2003 (yes, I know, it is old, but I don't
have authority to upgrade it or wipe it and install Linux on it).
Anyway, the latest version of MySQL will not run on that machine.
Therefore, I intend to run MySQL on the latest Suse (12.3) on a much
newer server that I have almost fixed (this machine will have a 256 GB
SSD).  So, unless I can mount the NAS in such a way that MySQL on Suse
can find it, the 4 TB NAS goes to waste (even though all machines on
my LAN can see it and browse to it, which is fine if I only want to
use Windows Explorer, or it's Linux equivalents, to copy files to it -
but even on Windows, MySQL doesn't seem to see it unless I have mapped
a specific MAS folder to a local drive letter, so I assume something
similar is true on Linux).  Hence my question.

NB: I am a programmer, not a system administrator, so I am at a loss
as to how to do this.
NB: I did a Google search, which resulted in a very poor signal to
noise ratio, but ended up confused by the different instructions given
for the different distributions.  And, worse, a lot of the pages I
found were as old as that ancient SBS machine I can't use for this
purpose.  Obviously, things have changes a lot since then.

So, then, how do I do this on the latest Suse releases (12.x)?

Thanks

Ted

RE: How do I mount a NAS device?

J. J. Farrell-2
I guess you sent this to the wrong list ...

Regards,
               jjf

Re: How do I mount a NAS device?

Roberto Spadim
hehehe i think it's not related to openssl
maybe you should look at
smbfs, cifs, samba, nfs, and others filesystem over network

Re: How do I mount a NAS device?

Chris Arnold
On Aug 8, 2013, at 2:45 PM, "Ted Byers" wrote:

> I obtained a NAS, with a view toward running MySQL on a sever running
> MS Small Business Server 2003 (yes, I know, it is old, but I don't
> have authority to upgrade it or wipe it and install Linux on it).
> Anyway, the latest version of MySQL will not run on that machine.
> Therefore, I intend to run MySQL on the latest Suse (12.3) on a much
> newer server that I have almost fixed (this machine will have a 256 GB
> SSD). So, unless I can mount the NAS in such a way that MySQL on Suse
> can find it, the 4 TB NAS goes to waste (even though all machines on
> my LAN can see it and browse to it, which is fine if I only want to
> use Windows Explorer, or it's Linux equivalents, to copy files to it -
> but even on Windows, MySQL doesn't seem to see it unless I have mapped
> a specific MAS folder to a local drive letter, so I assume something
> similar is true on Linux). Hence my question.
>
> NB: I am a programmer, not a system administrator, so I am at a loss
> as to how to do this.
> NB: I did a Google search, which resulted in a very poor signal to
> noise ratio, but ended up confused by the different instructions given
> for the different distributions. And, worse, a lot of the pages I
> found were as old as that ancient SBS machine I can't use for this
> purpose. Obviously, things have changes a lot since then.
>
> So, then, how do I do this on the latest Suse releases (12.x)?

The two ways that come to my mind are:
1) if the nas has iscsi support, config it on the nas and then config iscsi initiator on suse.
2) mount -t /dev/ /mnt

Btw, not sure how you think this is ssl mailing list material.....

Re: How do I mount a NAS device?

Ted Byers
OOPS, Thanks guys.

Sorry about the noise, I clicked the openssl list instead of the
opensuse list by mistake.

Thanks again

Ted