How do I connect to this server

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How do I connect to this server

Jeff Archer
I have a server that requires that username and password be used as

How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?

Thanks,
Jeff

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [EXTERNAL] How do I connect to this server

Sands, Daniel
On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 16:09 -0400, Jeff Archer wrote:
> I have a server that requires that username and password be used as
> https://username:password@...
>
>
> How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?

You don't.  The username and password are encoded into the request
header just like with HTTP, after the connection and handshake are done.
That's separate from the TLS transport.

You might consider a library like CURL, which handles both the TLS and
the HTTP, if you want to save on devel time.

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I connect to this server

OpenSSL - User mailing list
In reply to this post by Jeff Archer
> https://username:password@...
> How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?

You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.


--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I connect to this server

warron.french
I know that this is a TLS related question; however, do you know how you can diagnose straight HTTP using:

telnet server1 portnumber  ?
Then provide HTTP/1.1 etc....?

Is it possible to do the same thing with:      openssl       s_client    server1:portnumber then do the HTTP/1.1 etc... etc...?

Is that a possible technique?  I am interested in learning too?

--------------------------
Warron French


On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://username:password@server.com
> How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?

You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.


--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users


--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I connect to this server

Chris Gray-4
You should be able to do this using stunnel: see for example

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/cloud/current/tunneling-ssl.html

where your telnet commands would be the "client which supports only http".
But you can also learn a lot by playing with curl ...

> I know that this is a TLS related question; however, do you know how you
> can diagnose straight HTTP using:
>
> *telnet **server1 portnumber  ?*
> Then provide HTTP/1.1 etc....?
>
> Is it possible to do the same thing with:      *openssl       s_client
>  server1:portnumber* then do the HTTP/1.1 etc... etc...?
>
> Is that a possible technique?  I am interested in learning too?
>
> --------------------------
> Warron French
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> > https://username:password@...
>> > How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?
>>
>> You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.
>>
>>
>> --
>> openssl-users mailing list
>> To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
>>
> --
> openssl-users mailing list
> To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
>


--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I connect to this server

Jeff Archer
In reply to this post by OpenSSL - User mailing list
>> https://username:password@server.com
>> How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?
>
>You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.

OK. Let me try to rephrase my question.  Please excuse me if I don't get terminology exactly correct I am a novice user of OpenSSL and encryption in general.

I need to make a connection to this server from my app. The server will only allow TLS1.2 connections and requires username/password.  Other than the additional username/password I have working code which is working against a demo server which does not require this additional username/password.

I am able to connect to the user using a browser by putting the username/password into the url.  This proves that I know the correct username/password but has no other relevance.





Jeff Archer
[hidden email]


On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://username:password@server.com
> How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?

You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.


--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users


--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I connect to this server

Matt Caswell-2


On 24/04/17 13:52, Jeff Archer wrote:

>>> https://username:password@... <https://username:password@.../>
>>> How do I specify this username and password when using SSL_connect()?
>>
>>You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.
>
> OK. Let me try to rephrase my question.  Please excuse me if I don't get
> terminology exactly correct I am a novice user of OpenSSL and encryption
> in general.
>
> I need to make a connection to this server from my app. The server will
> only allow TLS1.2 connections and requires username/password.  Other
> than the additional username/password I have working code which is
> working against a demo server which does not require this additional
> username/password.
>
> I am able to connect to the user using a browser by putting the
> username/password into the url.  This proves that I know the correct
> username/password but has no other relevance.

This isn't an OpenSSL related question so is off topic for this list.
You need to read about HTTP basic authentication:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_access_authentication

Matt

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I connect to this server

Jakob Bohm-7
In reply to this post by warron.french
It can also be done with s_client, just include the encoded username
and password in the appropriate HTTP/1.1 headers supplied as input
to s_client, then look at the HTTP/1.1 headers and other data in the
output from s_client.

On 23/04/2017 04:42, warron.french wrote:

> I know that this is a TLS related question; however, do you know how
> you can diagnose straight HTTP using:
>
> *telnet */*server1 portnumber*  ?/
> Then provide HTTP/1.1 etc....?
>
> Is it possible to do the same thing with: *openssl     s_client  
>  server1:portnumber* then do the HTTP/1.1 etc... etc...?
>
> Is that a possible technique?  I am interested in learning too?
>
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Salz, Rich via openssl-users
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     >https://username:password@...
>     <https://username:password@...>
>     > How do I specify this username and password when using
>     SSL_connect()?
>
>     You don't.  That stuff is at the protocol level about TLS/SSL.
>

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  https://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10
This public discussion message is non-binding and may contain errors.
WiseMo - Remote Service Management for PCs, Phones and Embedded

--
openssl-users mailing list
To unsubscribe: https://mta.openssl.org/mailman/listinfo/openssl-users