Header vs library version...

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Header vs library version...

Edward Carr
Hi All,

Quick question, I am trying to install OpenSSH on my OS X box and
therefore need to install OpenSSL.  I have installed three version on
my machine the first I installed was 0.9.7i and received the folowing
error message when I was configuring OpenSSH

checking OpenSSL header version... 90709f (OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005)
checking OpenSSL library version... 90707f (OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005)
checking whether OpenSSL's headers match the library... no
configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do not match your library.
Check config.log for details.
Also see contrib/findssl.sh for help identifying header/library mismatches.

So, I removed that version and installed version 0.9.7h same error
(only for 0.9.7.h) so then I uninstalled that version and installed
version 0.9.7.g and voila, everything worked fine.

So, did I find a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Yes ... I was directly specifying the path to openssl in my
./configure --with-ssl-dir=/opt/openssl

Cheers,
Ted
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Header vs library version...

Chris Fowler-2
What is going on is that in /usr/lib you have OpenSSL 0.9.7g libraries
installed.  You are telling configure that you want it to use the
headers in /opt/openssl which are 0.9.7i.

configure checks to make sure that the libraries it will link into the
application are the same version as the headers which it will use to
compile the application.


On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 17:12 -0500, Edward Carr wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Quick question, I am trying to install OpenSSH on my OS X box and
> therefore need to install OpenSSL.  I have installed three version on
> my machine the first I installed was 0.9.7i and received the folowing
> error message when I was configuring OpenSSH
>
> checking OpenSSL header version... 90709f (OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005)
> checking OpenSSL library version... 90707f (OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005)
> checking whether OpenSSL's headers match the library... no
> configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do not match your library.
> Check config.log for details.
> Also see contrib/findssl.sh for help identifying header/library mismatches.
>
> So, I removed that version and installed version 0.9.7h same error
> (only for 0.9.7.h) so then I uninstalled that version and installed
> version 0.9.7.g and voila, everything worked fine.
>
> So, did I find a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Yes ... I was directly specifying the path to openssl in my
> ./configure --with-ssl-dir=/opt/openssl
>
> Cheers,
> Ted
> ______________________________________________________________________
> OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
> Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Header vs library version...

Edward Carr
But I explicitly told it to use the libraries in /opt/openssl ... I am
new to MAC and OS X, but I have been compiling apps in Solaris for
some time and when I tell it to use a specific set of libraries it
does, regardless of what else is installed in the system.  I cannot
believe that is the reason, why would it use a different set of
libraries than what I specified for compilation?

On 11/3/05, Christopher Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is going on is that in /usr/lib you have OpenSSL 0.9.7g libraries
> installed.  You are telling configure that you want it to use the
> headers in /opt/openssl which are 0.9.7i.
>
> configure checks to make sure that the libraries it will link into the
> application are the same version as the headers which it will use to
> compile the application.
>
>
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 17:12 -0500, Edward Carr wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Quick question, I am trying to install OpenSSH on my OS X box and
> > therefore need to install OpenSSL.  I have installed three version on
> > my machine the first I installed was 0.9.7i and received the folowing
> > error message when I was configuring OpenSSH
> >
> > checking OpenSSL header version... 90709f (OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005)
> > checking OpenSSL library version... 90707f (OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005)
> > checking whether OpenSSL's headers match the library... no
> > configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do not match your library.
> > Check config.log for details.
> > Also see contrib/findssl.sh for help identifying header/library mismatches.
> >
> > So, I removed that version and installed version 0.9.7h same error
> > (only for 0.9.7.h) so then I uninstalled that version and installed
> > version 0.9.7.g and voila, everything worked fine.
> >
> > So, did I find a bug or am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > Yes ... I was directly specifying the path to openssl in my
> > ./configure --with-ssl-dir=/opt/openssl
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ted
> > ______________________________________________________________________
> > OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
> > User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
> > Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
>
> ______________________________________________________________________
> OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
> Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
>
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Header vs library version...

Chris Fowler-2
I think --with-ssl-dir is meant for the development directory that
includes the headers.


But I guess I'm wrong.
>From INSTALL:

--with-ssl-dir=DIR allows you to specify where your OpenSSL libraries
are installed.

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 18:09 -0500, Edward Carr wrote:
> But I explicitly told it to use the libraries in /opt/openssl ... I am
> new to MAC and OS X, but I have been compiling apps in Solaris for
> some time and when I tell it to use a specific set of libraries it
> does, regardless of what else is installed in the system.  I cannot
> believe that is the reason, why would it use a different set of
> libraries than what I specified for compilation?

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]