Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

Codarren Velvindron
Hello,

How would we be able to achieve this? I have read somewhere on a 2016 mail in the archives that it is an "encrypt-only" algorithm  and that is not possible.

But I have found many sites on let's encrypt already using this.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Codarren

Re: Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

OpenSSL - User mailing list
  • How would we be able to achieve this? I have read somewhere on a 2016 mail in the archives that it is an "encrypt-only" algorithm  and that is not possible.

X25519 is a key-exchange-only algorithm.  Ed25519 is a signing algorithm.  Unlike classic RSA, the signing and the key exchange are two different operations (well, technically RSA doesn’t have key exchange).  Both are defined by IETF RFC’s.  OpenSSL doesn’t fully support Ed25519.

  • But I have found many sites on let's encrypt already using this.

Are you sure?  Please post a key.  Ed25519 is quite different from EdDSA or ECDSA or DSA, which typically use a P-256 curve.

Re: Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

Codarren Velvindron
https://tls13.crypto.mozilla.org is using : The connection to this site is encrypted and authenticated using a strong protocol (TLS 1.3), a strong key exchange (X25519), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM).

Using openssl standard tools is it possible to generate a CSR through Ed25519 ?

Re: Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

Jeffrey Walton-3
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Codarren Velvindron
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://tls13.crypto.mozilla.org is using : The connection to this site is
> encrypted and authenticated using a strong protocol (TLS 1.3), a strong key
> exchange (X25519), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM).

That's what Rich said: "X25519 is a key-exchange-only algorithm". The
shared secret that drops out of the x25519 key exchange is used to key
AES128/GCM (some hand waiving).

> Using openssl standard tools is it possible to generate a CSR through
> Ed25519 ?

This is a different application. ed25519 is signing, not key exchange.

I'm not sure how to do it because I've never needed it. But keep in
mind Rich said: "OpenSSL doesn’t fully support Ed25519".

Jeff

Re: Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

They are NOT using a 25519 certificate; it says “key exchange”

From: Codarren Velvindron <[hidden email]>
Date: Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM
To: Rich Salz <[hidden email]>, openssl-users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [openssl-users] Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

https://tls13.crypto.mozilla.org is using : The connection to this site is encrypted and authenticated using a strong protocol (TLS 1.3), a strong key exchange (X25519), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM).

Using openssl standard tools is it possible to generate a CSR through Ed25519 ?

Re: Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

Jakob Bohm-7
On 21/10/2017 15:38, Codarren Velvindron wrote:
> https://tls13.crypto.mozilla.org is using : The connection to this
> site is encrypted and authenticated using a strong protocol (TLS 1.3),
> a strong key exchange (X25519), and a strong cipher (AES_128_GCM).
>
> Using openssl standard tools is it possible to generate a CSR through
> Ed25519 ?

If you look further into this test page, at least with my
browser, it uses x25519 with a regular RSA certificate from
Let's encrypt.  I don't know if they use a different
certificate with other browsers based on checking some TLS
extensions etc.

The x25519 public key has no certificate, it is randomly
generated for each connection and signed with the RSA key
from the certificate.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: Generating CSR based on an x25519 public key

Kyle Hamilton
Out of curiosity, what are the algorithm identifiers for X25519 and Ed25519?

-Kyle H

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Kyle Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what are the algorithm identifiers for X25519 and Ed25519?

The ones I am aware of are available in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-josefsson-pkix-newcurves.

Jeff