Fwd: Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT

Hello Wim and Rich,

where is file "libcrypto" ? In which directory of OpenSSL-1.1.1pre8 ?

thx.
Greetz.
Val.

Am Di, 17. Jul, 2018 um 5:49 P. M. schrieb SchmiTTT
<[hidden email]>:

> Hello Wim,
>
> I did not mean "OpenSSL passwd" - I meant the normal passwd command
> in bash.
>
> Up to recent time this passwd command in bash involved mcrypt for
> encryption of Password input.
>
> Val.
>
> Am Mo, 16. Jul, 2018 um 10:57 P. M. schrieb Wim Lewis
> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On 16. júl. 2018, at 1:51 e.h., Carl-Valentin Schmitt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> mcrypt not only has md5, it has blowfish too and other keys. You
>>> can download source at http://sf.net
>>> mcrypt is a linux command as follower oft command crypt.
>>

>> I don't think the "openssl passwd" command has ever used mcrypt.
>> OpenSSL has implementations of (almost) all the relevant ciphers
>> in libcrypto already.

Re: Fwd: Re: command passwd

OpenSSL - User mailing list
>    where is file "libcrypto" ? In which directory of OpenSSL-1.1.1pre8 ?

It is not distributed. It is a library built as part of the compile process.

Re: Fwd: Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT
This is tricky to dig for the source code.
I guess I would need the source code for libcrypto.a and for
libcrypto.so,
but so they are not part of openssl-package ...

libcrypto.a and libcrypto.so are files which are built by
linux-compiler?
but somewhere has to be the source code for them ?

Am Mi, 18. Jul, 2018 um 7:30 P. M. schrieb Salz, Rich via openssl-users
<[hidden email]>:
>>     where is file "libcrypto" ? In which directory of
>> OpenSSL-1.1.1pre8 ?
>
> It is not distributed. It is a library built as part of the compile
> process.

Re: Fwd: Re: command passwd

OpenSSL - User mailing list
>    libcrypto.a and libcrypto.so are files which are built by
    linux-compiler?
    but somewhere has to be the source code for them ?

The files in the crypto directory are compiled to build the libraries.

I think you will find some intro material on building C software useful. This is probably not a good place to find that info.

Re: Fwd: Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT

Is this correct?

This concerns ANSI C Crypto Library ?

I would have to edit libcrypt, when I want to change some sizes for libcrypto.a and for libcrypto.so ?

Then compile it and merge it into Linux installation ?

Am 20.07.2018 um 02:53 schrieb Salz, Rich:
   libcrypto.a and libcrypto.so are files which are built by
    linux-compiler?
    but somewhere has to be the source code for them ?

The files in the crypto directory are compiled to build the libraries.

I think you will find some intro material on building C software useful. This is probably not a good place to find that info.

Re: Fwd: Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT
Are you Captain Kidd?
Kidding the rest of your Staff?

After your break you can write a howto, or I am finish when all goes well.

Salz, Rich <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 21. Juli 2018, 21:43:

No, it is completely wrong.

I cannot give you a tutorial, sorry.

Re: Fwd: Re: command passwd

SchmiTTT
Thank you Thomas.

Thomas J. Hruska <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 22. Juli 2018, 16:08:
On 7/21/2018 1:49 PM, Carl-Valentin Schmitt wrote:
> Are you Captain Kidd?
> Kidding the rest of your Staff?
>
> After your break you can write a howto, or I am finish when all goes well.
>
> Salz, Rich <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 21. Juli 2018, 21:43:
>
>> No, it is completely wrong.
>>
>> I cannot give you a tutorial, sorry.

Carl-Valentin,

The instructions for building OpenSSL are in the product itself.  See
the INSTALL file in the source tree.  You can download the various
source code releases to OpenSSL from www.openssl.org.

If you don't understand the INSTALL file, then maybe compiling OpenSSL
isn't right for you.  If you run Linux as you claim, there's probably a
package in your package manager you can use where someone has
volunteered their time to take proper care of the package.

Rich Salz actually gave you everything that you need to know:  The magic
word "tutorial".  There are tutorials on everything these days.  You
just have to run Google searches for them.  For example, a Google search
for "compile openssl tutorial" turns up a decent tutorial as the third
result:

https://www.feistyduck.com/library/openssl-cookbook/online/ch-openssl.html

There are even tutorials available online specific to each flavor of Linux.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

--
Thomas Hruska
Shining Light Productions

Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.