For those of you using Solaris 10.

Lisandro Grullon
Hi all,

After struggling with the installation in two different production servers of openssl 0.9.8 I decided to give it a shot in a new clean server just install. I install the usual stuff (make,gcc, libconv,perl(is already include in Solaris 10) ) After you install those things you will need to define your PATH to find the compiler and make ,etc. After that you can gunzip and tar -xvf openssl.

If everything goes ok, you can cd into the openssl directory and do a ./config this will create the tree structure for the source.  After doing your configure do the make, after doing make you will see warning all over the place, just disregard the warning for a minute. After make is done, try doing make clean again at the end you will see maybe 1 or 2 warnings, finally do a make again and you should not see warning, that is what happen on my case, don't know what will happen in yours. Well, if everything goes well, you should be ready to do a make install now. Go ahead and install it.

This method works for me using Solaris 10 x86 opteron, it seems that the release still have a few bugs that need to be fix for now, I will just keep compiling it this way since it is working. Good look to those of you compiling this in Solaris 10 x86.

Lisandro Grullon
New York City College of Technology
Division of Continuing Education
Director of Network Operations
Lisandro Office:    1718-552-1178
Lisandro E-mail:   [hidden email]
"Unix is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."

RE: For those of you using Solaris 10.

Adams, Jamie (Mission Systems)
I had problems compiling on Solaris 10 (UltraSPARC III) in Sun One Studio 7 but I got around it by setting the "_XPG6" symbol. Here are my notes from that day:

     # ./Configure solaris-sparcv8-cc:"cc -D_XPG6 -lnsl -lsocket"

     NOTES: There were two problems during the compile that are resolved with the additional
                    compiler flags and options shown above in "cc -D_XPG6 -lnsl -lsocket".

                    Problem [1]: If you don't define the symbol _XPG6, the preprocessor barfs as shown below.
                    For some reason, if you don't define it the preprocessor barfs because of
                    C99 conformancy. Even if you turn this off with -xc99=%none, it still barfs.

                   "/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h", line 329: #error: "Compiler or options invalid for
                   pre-UNIX 03 X/Open applications  and pre-2001 POSIX applications"
                   cc: acomp failed for randfile.c
                   *** Error code 2

                   /usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h:
                    * It is invalid to compile an XPG3, XPG4, XPG4v2, or XPG5 application
                    * using c99.  The same is true for POSIX.1-1990, POSIX.2-1992, POSIX.1b,
                    * and POSIX.1c applications. Likewise, it is invalid to compile an XPG6
                    * or a POSIX.1-2001 application with anything other than a c99 or later
                    * compiler.  Therefore, we force an error in both cases.

                   Problem [2]: The autoconf is not setting the correct CFLAGS to include the name service
                   and socket libraries (nsl & socket) which results in tons of undefined symbol errors in the
                   networking source code. This is a really sloppy way to do it but it works for now.

Good Luck!
Jamie

Re: For those of you using Solaris 10.

Rabellino Sergio
Lisandro Grullon wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>After struggling with the installation in two different production servers of openssl 0.9.8 I decided to give it a shot in a new clean server just install. I install the usual stuff (make,gcc, libconv,perl(is already include in Solaris 10) ) After you install those things you will need to define your PATH to find the compiler and make ,etc. After that you can gunzip and tar -xvf openssl.
>
>If everything goes ok, you can cd into the openssl directory and do a ./config this will create the tree structure for the source.  After doing your configure do the make, after doing make you will see warning all over the place, just disregard the warning for a minute. After make is done, try doing make clean again at the end you will see maybe 1 or 2 warnings, finally do a make again and you should not see warning, that is what happen on my case, don't know what will happen in yours. Well, if everything goes well, you should be ready to do a make install now. Go ahead and install it.
>
>This method works for me using Solaris 10 x86 opteron, it seems that the release still have a few bugs that need to be fix for now, I will just keep compiling it this way since it is working. Good look to those of you compiling this in Solaris 10 x86.

I've compiled on the same architecture, same S.O., with the latest gcc
from sunfreeware.com without any problem at all.
Some problem appear during the apache2, ssl module compilarion caused by
a different constant defined in the new 0.9.8 (PEM_something....)

bye.

--
Dott. Mag. Sergio Rabellino

 Technical Staff
 Department of Computer Science
 University of Torino (Italy)

http://www.di.unito.it/~rabser
Tel. +39-0116706701
Fax. +39-011751603

RE: For those of you using Solaris 10.

Lisandro Grullon
Hi jamie,

I was having the same problem compiling it in a production system. I google out that error and got your answer ;however, after getting around the addition of "_XPG6" into the make file I think it was. Something other problem was coming out, it was reference to the crypto library or something. I just did a clean install in a new system just to make sure this thing will work be default and openssl was the first thing I install follow by postfix using TLS(SSL), work flawlessly. Thanks for posting your work around Jamie. Lisandro

Lisandro Grullon
New York City College of Technology
Division of Continuing Education
Director of Network Operations
Lisandro Office:    1718-552-1178
Lisandro E-mail:   [hidden email]
"Unix is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."

>>> [hidden email] 08/31/05 9:44 AM >>>
I had problems compiling on Solaris 10 (UltraSPARC III) in Sun One Studio 7 but I got around it by setting the "_XPG6" symbol. Here are my notes from that day:

     # ./Configure solaris-sparcv8-cc:"cc -D_XPG6 -lnsl -lsocket"

     NOTES: There were two problems during the compile that are resolved with the additional
                    compiler flags and options shown above in "cc -D_XPG6 -lnsl -lsocket".

                    Problem [1]: If you don't define the symbol _XPG6, the preprocessor barfs as shown below.
                    For some reason, if you don't define it the preprocessor barfs because of
                    C99 conformancy. Even if you turn this off with -xc99=%none, it still barfs.

                   "/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h", line 329: #error: "Compiler or options invalid for
                   pre-UNIX 03 X/Open applications  and pre-2001 POSIX applications"
                   cc: acomp failed for randfile.c
                   *** Error code 2

                   /usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h:
                    * It is invalid to compile an XPG3, XPG4, XPG4v2, or XPG5 application
                    * using c99.  The same is true for POSIX.1-1990, POSIX.2-1992, POSIX.1b,
                    * and POSIX.1c applications. Likewise, it is invalid to compile an XPG6
                    * or a POSIX.1-2001 application with anything other than a c99 or later
                    * compiler.  Therefore, we force an error in both cases.

                   Problem [2]: The autoconf is not setting the correct CFLAGS to include the name service
                   and socket libraries (nsl & socket) which results in tons of undefined symbol errors in the
                   networking source code. This is a really sloppy way to do it but it works for now.

Good Luck!
Jamie

Re: For those of you using Solaris 10.

Lisandro Grullon
Hi rabellino,

Maybe that is the problem I am having, I have apache2  install in the production server, probably that is why is not compiling properly. Well, I probably will redo one of the production server this weekend and the first thing I will do is install openssl first and them all the other stuff. It is disapointing to redo things, but that is the only way to learn sometimes. LOLThansk for posting rabellino.

BTW. I am also unsing the gcc compiler from sunfreeware. I though things would work ok in production, but they didn't. LOL . Lisandro

Lisandro Grullon wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>After struggling with the installation in two different production servers of openssl 0.9.8 I decided to give it a shot in a new clean server just install. I install the usual stuff (make,gcc, libconv,perl(is already include in Solaris 10) ) After you install those things you will need to define your PATH to find the compiler and make ,etc. After that you can gunzip and tar -xvf openssl.
>
>If everything goes ok, you can cd into the openssl directory and do a ./config this will create the tree structure for the source.  After doing your configure do the make, after doing make you will see warning all over the place, just disregard the warning for a minute. After make is done, try doing make clean again at the end you will see maybe 1 or 2 warnings, finally do a make again and you should not see warning, that is what happen on my case, don't know what will happen in yours. Well, if everything goes well, you should be ready to do a make install now. Go ahead and install it.
>
>This method works for me using Solaris 10 x86 opteron, it seems that the release still have a few bugs that need to be fix for now, I will just keep compiling it this way since it is working. Good look to those of you compiling this in Solaris 10 x86.

I've compiled on the same architecture, same S.O., with the latest gcc
from sunfreeware.com without any problem at all.
Some problem appear during the apache2, ssl module compilarion caused by
a different constant defined in the new 0.9.8 (PEM_something....)

bye.

--
Dott. Mag. Sergio Rabellino

 Technical Staff
 Department of Computer Science
 University of Torino (Italy)

http://www.di.unito.it/~rabser
Tel. +39-0116706701
Fax. +39-011751603

Re: For those of you using Solaris 10.

Ricardo Stella

I had no problems on three V20z (Opteron based).  I did have problems on
a Dell Optiplex though.  I'm using Sun's version of GCC which is newer
than the one in sunfreeware

The problem was regarding values.c, which is documented.
Fix it like this:

wget http://www.openssl.org/~appro/values.c
ksh -f values.c
./config -fPIC shared no-idea
make
make test
make install

--

stella.vcf (154 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: For those of you using Solaris 10.

Lisandro Grullon
Interesting, thanks for sharing the tip.

--