FW: Website changing this weekend

Salz, Rich

From: Salz, Rich [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 4:20 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [openssl-announce] Website changing this weekend

We’re bringing up a new website this weekend.  Please be patient if you have problems.  If you notice any broken links, let us know.

Thanks.

Re: FW: Website changing this weekend

Chris Clark
Hi Rich,

I'm curious why the new download page lists version 1.01p before version 1.02d?
Is it suggesting that users download the 1.01 branch instead of the later one?

-Chris

> [...]

They're listed in time-order, not alpha order.  Should perhaps  fix that.

Re: FW: Website changing this weekend

Tom Browder
On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Salz, Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm curious why the new download page lists version 1.01p before version
>> 1.02d?
>> Is it suggesting that users download the 1.01 branch instead of the later one?
>
> They're listed in time-order, not alpha order.  Should perhaps  fix that.

The way you name versions doesn't help, but, IMHO, you should have two listings:

1. Something like "Latest Version" (latest version only of openssl and FIPS).

2. Then something like "Other Versions" (whatever else you want to
show on the page).

Much less confusing to me.

Best,

-Tom

Re: [openssl-dev] FW: Website changing this weekend

Salz, Rich
>  From the https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/crypto.html
> page
>
> - the links to x509v3, asn1, stack and txt_db are broken.

Yes, cross-refs within the manpages are still often broke.  We're working on that.

> - it's unclear what "INTERNAL FUNCTIONS" means.

UTILITY is a better word, I'll change that.

> - The ec link is under internal functions.  A more obvious place would be
> under PUBLIC KEY CRYPTOGRAPHY AND KEY AGREEMENT.

Yup, we'll fix.

> It wold be nice to document the AES API:

Moving forward, the EVP API is the only real public interface we want to expose.

Re: [openssl-dev] FW: Website changing this weekend

Salz, Rich
> > Yes, cross-refs within the manpages are still often broke.  We're working on
> that.

Thanks to the generous help of Phil Pearl, the links within the manpages are fixed!