FIPS 140-2 key wrapping transition

Zeke Evans-2

Hi,

NIST recently gave notice of Symmetric Key Wrapping Transition, details are found here https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/cryptographic-module-validation-program/notices.  It is not clear to me whether the FIPS 2.0 module is affected by this.  I am mostly curious about this part:

All validations on the Active Validation List that implement the previously allowed AES or TDEA key wrapping

  • Entries will be moved to the Historical List.

Can someone verify whether the FIPS 2.0 validation is affected by this?

Thanks,

Zeke Evans

Senior Software Engineer

Micro Focus

Re: FIPS 140-2 key wrapping transition

OpenSSL - User mailing list

The OpenSSL FIPS Validation #1747 is affected by the key wrapping transition and will therefore be moved to Historical at some point.

As we’ve said, FIPS will be the focus of our next feature release after 1.1.1 (TLS 1.3).