Extension of certificate expiry date

Anand Sridharan

Hi openssl users,

is there a way on openssl to extend the expiry of certificate date?

I created a certificate with an expiry date set for 365 days but looking now to extend it longer or indefinitely.
--
thanks,

Anand.S

Re: Extension of certificate expiry date

Viktor Dukhovni
On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 04:01:37PM -0700, Anand Sridharan wrote:

> is there a way on openssl to extend the expiry of certificate date?
>
> I created a certificate with an expiry date set for 365 days but looking
> now to extend it longer or indefinitely.

You need to sign a new certificate for the same subject name and public
key.  While it is possible to use an existing certificate as a
"template" the new certificate, it is often simpler to just create a new
one.  Is there any reason why that's not a good option for you?

Re: Extension of certificate expiry date

Anand Sridharan
Hi Viktor ,
we have used hardcoded certificate information in a piece of code , we don't want to change it often.
There aren't any other reasons for it.

Anand.S

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 07:43:46PM -0700, Anand Sridharan wrote:

> We have used hardcoded certificate information in a piece of code , we
> don't want to change it often.  There aren't any other reasons for it.

Just generate a new certificate, you can use the same key if you like.