Error: does not have a number assigned

EYAL INBAR
Hello

I try to add API,CMP_build_KUR_req, to crypto lib and get

Error: CMP_build_KUR_req does not have a number assigned

Any suggestion?

Re: Error: does not have a number assigned

OpenSSL - User mailing list
On 27/11/2018 11:50, EYAL INBAR wrote:
> Hello
>
> I try to add API,CMP_build_KUR_req, to crypto lib and get
>
> Error: CMP_build_KUR_req does not have a number assigned
>
> Any suggestion?
This means you are compiling for a platform (probably Windows
or OS/2) where names exported from DLLs are assigned unique
numbers for fast lookup during application load.

There is a source file in OpenSSL giving the assigned numbers.
You will need to add numbers for you additional exports, and
deal with the risk that a future OpenSSL release uses that
number for something else.

Enjoy

Jakob

Re: Error: does not have a number assigned

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre
Short version: Just do 'make update' and the numbers will be added automagically.

Long version:  There  is a script, 'util/mkdef.pl', which gets invoked by 'make update'. It scans the header files
for new APIs an updates the .num files  (libcrypto.num/libeay.num and libssl.num) accordingly. For windows,
it also  updates the module definition files (*.def).

So 'make update' will add your new API function. But be warned: As Jakob already mentioned, if you update
OpenSSL it can happen that you get merge conflicts (if you use git) or your numbers will get overwritten
(if you extract tarballs). You will have to renumber you symbols (or remove them and run 'make update' again).

HTH,
Matthias

Viktor Dukhovni
> On Nov 27, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Dr. Matthias St. Pierre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Short version: Just do 'make update' and the numbers will be added automagically.
>
> Long version:  There  is a script, 'util/mkdef.pl', which gets invoked by 'make update'. It scans the header files
> for new APIs an updates the .num files  (libcrypto.num/libeay.num and libssl.num) accordingly. For windows,
> it also  updates the module definition files (*.def).

It might be prudent for the OP to assign a high value that OpenSSL
will not likely ever reach. Start at 32767 and count down for site-local
ordinals?

Re: Error: does not have a number assigned

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre
Yes, that would be a good idea. Although it does not prevent merge conflicts, at least the ordinals
don't have to be renumbered every time. (That's the way we solved the problem in our company.)

On 27.11.18 15:58, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>> On Nov 27, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Dr. Matthias St. Pierre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Short version: Just do 'make update' and the numbers will be added automagically.
>>
>> Long version:  There  is a script, 'util/mkdef.pl', which gets invoked by 'make update'. It scans the header files
>> for new APIs an updates the .num files  (libcrypto.num/libeay.num and libssl.num) accordingly. For windows,
>> it also  updates the module definition files (*.def).
> It might be prudent for the OP to assign a high value that OpenSSL
> will not likely ever reach. Start at 32767 and count down for site-local
> ordinals?

Re: Error: does not have a number assigned

EYAL INBAR
Thanks
I add my functions to libcrypto.num at the end (32767 ,32766 ) as your suggestions.