Entering non-ASCII character with the openssl tool?

Entering non-ASCII character with the openssl tool?

Stef Hoeben-2
Hi,

(sorry if you received this mail twice)

We want to make pkcs10 request with "openssl -req", in which
the CN contains non-ASCII chars (greek, arab, chinese, ...)

Is there a way to do so with the openssl tool?
E.g. by using escape characters, or by specifying the CN in openssl.conf
in some way, or tell the openssl tool to get the DN/CN from file?

Many thanks,
Stef

Re: Entering non-ASCII character with the openssl tool?

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006, Stef Hoeben wrote:

> We want to make pkcs10 request with "openssl -req", in which
> the CN contains non-ASCII chars (greek, arab, chinese, ...)
>
> Is there a way to do so with the openssl tool?
> E.g. by using escape characters, or by specifying the CN in openssl.conf
> in some way, or tell the openssl tool to get the DN/CN from file?

Yes, you need to specify the strings in UTF8 format. There may be an option to
set the terminal to encode in UTF8 in which case the normal prompting may
work. Otherwise try entering the data in a config file: see the 'req' manual
page for examples.

If you aren't using the latest versions of OpenSSL you may want to specify the
"string_mask" option as "utf8only" to ensure it only use UTF8String for
DirectoryString.

To display the request properly you'll probably also need to specify the
"nameopt" command line switch.

This hasn't been extensively tested to let me know of any problems.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.