Engine configuration

Dmitry Belyavsky-3
Hello,

I have a question regarding engine configuration.

We need to implement such behaviour:
- on load the engine is configured with the commands from config file, but the values can be overwritten via environment
- application can change the engine's configuration via ENGINE_ctrl_string functions.

Is there any way to distinguish whether engine is configured via the config file or via direct calls to ENGINE_ctrl* functions?

Thank you!

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

Re: Engine configuration

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Mon, Oct 02, 2017, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding engine configuration.
>
> We need to implement such behaviour:
> - on load the engine is configured with the commands from config file, but
> the values can be overwritten via environment

That part can be done with the config file syntax see config(5)

> - application can change the engine's configuration via ENGINE_ctrl_string
> functions.
>
> Is there any way to distinguish whether engine is configured via the config
> file or via direct calls to ENGINE_ctrl* functions?

Not currently no: the config file calls the relevant control operations.

Re: Engine configuration

Dmitry Belyavsky-3
Dear Stephen,

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Dr. Stephen Henson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 02, 2017, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding engine configuration.
>
> We need to implement such behaviour:
> - on load the engine is configured with the commands from config file, but
> the values can be overwritten via environment

That part can be done with the config file syntax see config(5)

> - application can change the engine's configuration via ENGINE_ctrl_string
> functions.
>
> Is there any way to distinguish whether engine is configured via the config
> file or via direct calls to ENGINE_ctrl* functions?

Not currently no: the config file calls the relevant control operations.

Does it make sense to create a PR  (without code for now) to make these cases distinguishable?
Thank you!

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

Re: Engine configuration

Jakob Bohm-7
On 04/10/2017 19:28, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:

> Dear Stephen,
>
> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Dr. Stephen Henson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 02, 2017, Dmitry Belyavsky wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding engine configuration.
>>>
>>> We need to implement such behaviour:
>>> - on load the engine is configured with the commands from config file,
>> but
>>> the values can be overwritten via environment
>> That part can be done with the config file syntax see config(5)
>>
>>> - application can change the engine's configuration via
>> ENGINE_ctrl_string
>>> functions.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to distinguish whether engine is configured via the
>> config
>>> file or via direct calls to ENGINE_ctrl* functions?
>>>
>> Not currently no: the config file calls the relevant control operations.
>>

> Does it make sense to create a PR  (without code for now) to make these
> cases distinguishable?
> Thank you!
It would make more sense to ensure that the configuration (from any origin,
ENGINE_ctrl_, config file, environment, future mechanisms) is consistently
read through the same software "stack" and code path, such that any
supplemental / engine specific parameters are passed through all the way
and the engine code doesn't need to know or care about where that is.

Enjoy

Jakob