Empty directories

Gisle Vanem-4
I've noted that when build OpenSSL using MSVC,
some empty directories are created:
   ./crypto/include
   ./crypto/providers

I configured with:
   perl.exe -I. -I./util/perl Configure VC-WIN32-ONECORE no-makedepend
   enable-zlib enable-trace enable-md2 no-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128
   enable-asan enable-aria enable-rc5 enable-heartbeats --prefix=/foo/bar
   --openssldir=/foo/bar

I see that the generated Makefile has lots of
'-I "crypto\include"'. AFAICS needlessly. But I
see no 'mkdir crypto\include' anywhere.

And I don't see 'mkdir-p.pl' is used to create these.
So how are these empty directories created/used?

--gv

Re: Empty directories

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre
Hmmm... that might be a remnant which was forgotten during the reorganization of the
header files, see commit [1] of pull request [2].

It tested it on master, it seems like the empty directories are created by the Configure script.
Would you mind opening a GitHub issue for it?

Regards, Matthias

[1] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/25f2138b0ab54a65ba713c093ca3734d88f7cb51
[2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/9333

On 08.09.20 10:34, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> I've noted that when build OpenSSL using MSVC,
> some empty directories are created:
>   ./crypto/include
>   ./crypto/providers
>
> I configured with:
>   perl.exe -I. -I./util/perl Configure VC-WIN32-ONECORE no-makedepend
>   enable-zlib enable-trace enable-md2 no-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128
>   enable-asan enable-aria enable-rc5 enable-heartbeats --prefix=/foo/bar
>   --openssldir=/foo/bar
>
> I see that the generated Makefile has lots of
> '-I "crypto\include"'. AFAICS needlessly. But I
> see no 'mkdir crypto\include' anywhere.
>
> And I don't see 'mkdir-p.pl' is used to create these.
> So how are these empty directories created/used?

Re: Empty directories

Gisle Vanem-4
> It tested it on master, it seems like the empty directories are created by the Configure script.

Where exactly?

> Would you mind opening a GitHub issue for it?

Done:
   https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/12815

--
--gv