EVP_DigestSignUpdate missing from libcrypto

EVP_DigestSignUpdate missing from libcrypto

Sage Gerard
For each libcrypto on my Fedora 30 instance, EVP_DigestSignUpdate appears to be missing from the extern symbols list, but EVP_DigestSign remains. This seems to be why I cannot get a reference to the implementation in other programs.

[sage@jet racket]$ nm -D /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.* | grep EVP_DigestSign
000000000013bfd0 T EVP_DigestSignFinal
000000000013bfb0 T EVP_DigestSignInit
000000000013bfd0 T EVP_DigestSignFinal
000000000013bfb0 T EVP_DigestSignInit
0000000000172e50 T EVP_DigestSign
0000000000172be0 T EVP_DigestSignFinal
0000000000172bc0 T EVP_DigestSignInit
0000000000172e50 T EVP_DigestSign
0000000000172be0 T EVP_DigestSignFinal
0000000000172bc0 T EVP_DigestSignInit
[sage@jet racket]$

I'm okay with using EVP_DigestSign, but both that and online materials presume EVP_DigestSignUpdate's availability, and the source code does not seem to have a directive to exclude the signature or implementation at first glance. What can explain the symbol's absense?

~slg

Re: EVP_DigestSignUpdate missing from libcrypto

Matt Caswell-2

On 16/09/2020 15:23, Sage Gerard wrote:
> I'm okay with using EVP_DigestSign, but both that and online materials
> presume EVP_DigestSignUpdate's availability, and the source code does
> not seem to have a directive to exclude the signature or implementation
> at first glance. What can explain the symbol's absense?

Its a macro:

# define EVP_DigestSignUpdate(a,b,c)     EVP_DigestUpdate(a,b,c)

So, the symbol in libcrypto.so is called EVP_DigestUpdate.

Note that this isn't the case in OpenSSL 3.0. It is a full symbol in its
 own right there.

Re: EVP_DigestSignUpdate missing from libcrypto

Sage Gerard
Thanks, Matt.

~slg