EC GF(2^m)

Spurr, Matthew E

Hello I am just looking for a simple question to be answered, and cannot find a place to really have a discussion about it.  Part of the ECE GF(2^m) algorithms have a patent on them.  I am wondering if it is ok to use these algorithms in a software suite that will be distributed to paying customers?

I am mainly talking about the ec_GF2m_simple_set_compressed_coordinates.  Can I port this algorithm into my software and then sell it to customers?  Or really any of the GF(2^m) stuff since Certicom owns such a large portion of the patents on this topic?

Re: EC GF(2^m)

Victor Duchovni
On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:51:19PM +0000, Spurr, Matthew E wrote:

> Hello I am just looking for a simple question to be answered, and
> cannot find a place to really have a discussion about it.  Part of the
> ECE GF(2^m) algorithms have a patent on them.  I am wondering if it is
> ok to use these algorithms in a software suite that will be distributed
> to paying customers?
>
> I am mainly talking about the ec_GF2m_simple_set_compressed_coordinates.
> Can I port this algorithm into my software and then sell it to customers?
> Or really any of the GF(2^m) stuff since Certicom owns such a large
> portion of the patents on this topic?

Nobody on this list can give you legal advice. Some rumours about
ECC patents are available at:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_patents