Download fips 1.2.3

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Download fips 1.2.3

Ruiyuan Jiang

Hi, all

 

Has anyone had problem with openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar.gz? When I tried to “tar xvf” on my Solaris 10 SPARC, the source had error message “unexpected EOF”. I have tried with different proxy servers and direct download from the site but had no luck. I now downloaded v1.2.2 and no problem with the source to configure and make. Thanks.

 

Ryan Jiang




This message (including any attachments) is intended
solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above, and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and then delete it.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download fips 1.2.3

Kyle Hamilton
Solaris has a buggy tar.  You need to use gnu tar.

-Kyle H

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Ruiyuan Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
>  
>
> Has anyone had problem with openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar.gz? When I tried to “tar
> xvf” on my Solaris 10 SPARC, the source had error message “unexpected EOF”.
> I have tried with different proxy servers and direct download from the site
> but had no luck. I now downloaded v1.2.2 and no problem with the source to
> configure and make. Thanks.
>
>  
>
> Ryan Jiang
>
>
> This message (including any attachments) is intended
> solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
> above, and may contain legally privileged and
> confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
> replying to this message and then delete it.
> Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
> or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
> intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.


Verify This Message with Penango.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Download fips 1.2.3

Ruiyuan Jiang
Well, Kyle

I don't think tar is the problem here. After I had the problem with v1.2.3, I downloaded fips 1.2.2 afterwards and I don't have problem to untar the tar ball.

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Kyle Hamilton
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 11:56 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Download fips 1.2.3

Solaris has a buggy tar.  You need to use gnu tar.

-Kyle H

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Ruiyuan Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
>  
>
> Has anyone had problem with openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar.gz? When I tried to “tar
> xvf” on my Solaris 10 SPARC, the source had error message “unexpected EOF”.
> I have tried with different proxy servers and direct download from the site
> but had no luck. I now downloaded v1.2.2 and no problem with the source to
> configure and make. Thanks.
>
>  
>
> Ryan Jiang
>
>
> This message (including any attachments) is intended
> solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
> above, and may contain legally privileged and
> confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
> replying to this message and then delete it.
> Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
> or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
> intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.




This message (including any attachments) is intended
solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above, and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and then delete it.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.
:��I"Ϯ��r�m���� (���Z+�K�+����1���x ��h���[�z�(���Z+� ��f�y������f���h��)z{,���
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download fips 1.2.3

Kyle Hamilton
In reply to this post by Ruiyuan Jiang
Well, Ryan

I don't think that Solaris's tar hits the bug every time.  Do you think Oracle (nee Sun) would ship something that failed 100% of the time instead of 0.1% of the time?

Just try GNU tar.  See if it works.  That's what's used to create the tarball in the first place, and GNU tar has a known sporadic incompatibility with Solaris tar.

-Kyle H

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Ruiyuan Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, Kyle
>
> I don't think tar is the problem here. After I had the problem with v1.2.3, I downloaded fips 1.2.2 afterwards and I don't have problem to untar the tar ball.
>
> Ryan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Kyle Hamilton
> Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 11:56 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Download fips 1.2.3
>
> Solaris has a buggy tar.  You need to use gnu tar.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Ruiyuan Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>>  
>>
>> Has anyone had problem with openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar.gz? When I tried to “tar
>> xvf” on my Solaris 10 SPARC, the source had error message “unexpected EOF”.
>> I have tried with different proxy servers and direct download from the site
>> but had no luck. I now downloaded v1.2.2 and no problem with the source to
>> configure and make. Thanks.
>>
>>  
>>
>> Ryan Jiang
>>
>>
>> This message (including any attachments) is intended
>> solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
>> above, and may contain legally privileged and
>> confidential information. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
>> replying to this message and then delete it.
>> Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
>> or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
>> intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.
>
>
>
>
> This message (including any attachments) is intended
> solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
> above, and may contain legally privileged and
> confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
> replying to this message and then delete it.
> Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
> or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
> intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.
>


Verify This Message with Penango.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download fips 1.2.3

John R Pierce
On 05/24/11 12:53 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> I don't think that Solaris's tar hits the bug every time.  Do you
> think Oracle (nee Sun) would ship something that failed 100% of the
> time instead of 0.1% of the time?

bug? no, this is not a bug.

native posix tar doesn't read gzip files, gzip does.
gnu tar munged gzip into tar to create a hybrid.

     gunzip -c filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -

or
     gunzip filename.tar.gz
     tar xvf filename.tar

works just great on Solaris and any other Unix platform.


--
john r pierce                            N 37, W 123
santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast

______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download fips 1.2.3

Kyle Hamilton
In reply to this post by Ruiyuan Jiang
John,

The OP said that he gunzipped it in-place before doing tar xvf.  It -is- a bug in Solaris tar, and it's known in many different places.  One of which is here:
http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/at.install.html

It appears that there are two separate issues involved.  First, Solaris tar doesn't deal with long paths well.  Second, Solaris tar expects a slightly different checksum calculation.

This is known to occur on the version of tar from Solaris 2.6.  I have not heard any statements that it has been fixed in Solaris 10.

Considering that a precompiled GNU tar can be obtained from http://sunfreeware.com/, I fail to comprehend the "Solaris is absolutely bug-free, it must be something else's problem" mindset which prevents this workaround's application.

From the OP's response to Eric Eberhard:

----- begin quote
Hi, Eric

That is what I did exactly and failed on "tar xvf" and I don't have problem with 1.2.2.

Ryan

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Eric S. Eberhard
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 6:22 PM
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Download fips 1.2.3

You need to:

gunzip openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar.gz

That will create openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar

Then tar -xvf openssl-fips-1.2.3.tar


Eric
----- end quote

Maybe the entire thread should be read, rather than just picking up keywords.

To boil this down:  Solaris tar is known to be bugged by people who have to support GNU tar-created archives on Solaris.  Use GNU tar from sunfreeware.com, and it will work.

-Kyle H

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM, John R Pierce <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/24/11 12:53 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that Solaris's tar hits the bug every time.  Do you think
>> Oracle (nee Sun) would ship something that failed 100% of the time instead
>> of 0.1% of the time?
>
> bug? no, this is not a bug.
>
> native posix tar doesn't read gzip files, gzip does.
> gnu tar munged gzip into tar to create a hybrid.
>
>    gunzip -c filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>
> or
>    gunzip filename.tar.gz
>    tar xvf filename.tar
>
> works just great on Solaris and any other Unix platform.
>
>
> --
> john r pierce                            N 37, W 123
> santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast
>
> ______________________________________________________________________
> OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
> User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
> Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
>


Verify This Message with Penango.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download fips 1.2.3

Eric S. Eberhard-2
In reply to this post by Kyle Hamilton
winzip will open tar files ... E

At 01:20 PM 5/24/2011, you wrote:

>On 05/24/11 12:53 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
>>I don't think that Solaris's tar hits the bug every time.  Do you
>>think Oracle (nee Sun) would ship something that failed 100% of the
>>time instead of 0.1% of the time?
>
>bug? no, this is not a bug.
>
>native posix tar doesn't read gzip files, gzip does.
>gnu tar munged gzip into tar to create a hybrid.
>
>     gunzip -c filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>
>or
>     gunzip filename.tar.gz
>     tar xvf filename.tar
>
>works just great on Solaris and any other Unix platform.
>
>
>--
>john r pierce                            N 37, W 123
>santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast
>
>______________________________________________________________________
>OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
>Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]


Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Pictures of Snake in Spring

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=115547&id=1409661701&l=1c375e1f49

Pictures of Camp Verde

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12771&id=1409661701&l=fc0e0a2bcf

Pictures of Land Cruiser in Sedona

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50953&id=1409661701

Pictures of Flagstaff area near our cabin

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12750&id=1409661701

Pictures of Cheryl in a Horse Show

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32484&id=1409661701


Pictures of the AZ Desert

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58827&id=1409661701

(You can see why we love this state :-) )








______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Download fips 1.2.3

J. J. Farrell
In reply to this post by John R Pierce
> From: John R Pierce
> Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:20 PM
>
> On 05/24/11 12:53 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> > I don't think that Solaris's tar hits the bug every time.  Do you
> > think Oracle (nee Sun) would ship something that failed 100% of the
> > time instead of 0.1% of the time?
>
> bug? no, this is not a bug.
>
> native posix tar doesn't read gzip files, gzip does.
> gnu tar munged gzip into tar to create a hybrid.
>
>      gunzip -c filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>
> or
>      gunzip filename.tar.gz
>      tar xvf filename.tar
>
> works just great on Solaris and any other Unix platform.

... except when it doesn't, such as in the case in question.______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Download fips 1.2.3

Eric S. Eberhard-2
In reply to this post by John R Pierce
If you tried to open it in Winzip (which can open tar files and
tar.gz files) you can see if it is the Solaris or the file.

To have Winzip do the tar.gz rename it to simply .tgz ...

You could always transfer it from your PC if you do it this way -- if
you are running Samba on the Solaris it is trivial.

Eric

At 02:55 PM 5/24/2011, you wrote:

> > From: John R Pierce
> > Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:20 PM
> >
> > On 05/24/11 12:53 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> > > I don't think that Solaris's tar hits the bug every time.  Do you
> > > think Oracle (nee Sun) would ship something that failed 100% of the
> > > time instead of 0.1% of the time?
> >
> > bug? no, this is not a bug.
> >
> > native posix tar doesn't read gzip files, gzip does.
> > gnu tar munged gzip into tar to create a hybrid.
> >
> >      gunzip -c filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
> >
> > or
> >      gunzip filename.tar.gz
> >      tar xvf filename.tar
> >
> > works just great on Solaris and any other Unix platform.
>
>... except when it doesn't, such as in the case in
>question.______________________________________________________________________
>OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
>User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
>Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]


Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Pictures of Snake in Spring

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=115547&id=1409661701&l=1c375e1f49

Pictures of Camp Verde

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12771&id=1409661701&l=fc0e0a2bcf

Pictures of Land Cruiser in Sedona

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50953&id=1409661701

Pictures of Flagstaff area near our cabin

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=12750&id=1409661701

Pictures of Cheryl in a Horse Show

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32484&id=1409661701


Pictures of the AZ Desert

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58827&id=1409661701

(You can see why we love this state :-) )








______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Download fips 1.2.3

John R Pierce
On 05/24/11 3:26 PM, Eric S. Eberhard wrote:
> If you tried to open it in Winzip (which can open tar files and tar.gz
> files) you can see if it is the Solaris or the file.
>
> To have Winzip do the tar.gz rename it to simply .tgz ...
>
> You could always transfer it from your PC if you do it this way -- if
> you are running Samba on the Solaris it is trivial.

or with solaris 10, /usr/sfw/bin/gtar xvzf filename.tar.gz


$ gtar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.23
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.


______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    [hidden email]
Automated List Manager                           [hidden email]