Cryptographic Hardware Accelerators for OpenSSL

Cryptographic Hardware Accelerators for OpenSSL

Lech Olmedo
Is it possible to add a new Hardware Accelerator beside those that are already supported as an Engine object in the OpenSSL implementation?

My intent is trying to add as a new Engine some crypto modules from a Coldfire device..., but after reading some information and some links, it seem that it is not possible... is this correct?

regards
Lech Olmedo

Re: Cryptographic Hardware Accelerators for OpenSSL

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Lech Olmedo wrote:

> My intent is trying to add as a new Engine some crypto modules from a
> Coldfire device..., but after reading some information and some links, it
> seem that it is not possible... is this correct?

I'm not sure what would make you think it isn't possible.

The preferred way is to compile then engine as a shared library and then it
can be loaded and used either using the auto config mechanism (if the
application supports it) or by installing it in the appropriate directory and
using its name.

For example looking up an engine called "coldfire" might try to load a shared
library called "libcoldfire.so"

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

Re: Cryptographic Hardware Accelerators for OpenSSL

Randy Turner

I'm assuming it's also possible to statically link/bind (at build
time) engine drivers. Is this the case?

R.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Randy Turner wrote:

> I'm assuming it's also possible to statically link/bind (at build
> time) engine drivers. Is this the case?

Yes. An application then would need to make an explicit call to the static
engine code to either reference it explicitly or register it.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.