Crypted Message trasfer across OS

Dorairaj B - CTD, Chennai.
> Hello,
>
> I am transferring a AES encrypted buffer by writing to a file in Windows
> and then trying to decrypt the buffer from the transferred file in Linux.
> Though i use the same key both sides, the decryption does not work.
>
> I use the following:
>
> windows 2000 professional with openssl-0.9.8a
> Linux 2.4.20 with openssl-0.9.8a
> Used fgets, fputs for transferring contents from buffer to file.
>
> I suspect doing the file operation would add '\0' at the end and might
> cause problems.
>
> Is there a standard method of transferring the encrypted message from
> Windows to Linux and viceversa?
> Any help on this would be useful.
>
> Thanks,
> -Dorai
DISCLAIMER
This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that is confidential, proprietary to HCL Technologies
and its customers. Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the
individual or the entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to
read, forward, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer

Re: Crypted Message trasfer across OS

Terrell
Why don't you spin through the file in the two machines and determine if they are (1) the eact same length and (2) if their contents match.

While I have not been doing openssl programming for a while I am a programmer and that would the 1st thing I'd check.  You should look for byte ordering as well.

You would not actually have to run a MD5 checksum but it would be ok to do so.

I can offer you a little C hexdump routine if you need one.  I think it might even be on my website.  However you could simply write a little C program to read them in and then use printf() and it might give you an idea what you are up against.

Endian issues are not likely to be the issue.  Whatever it is it will likely be a little more subtle.

Terrell

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 05:15:47PM +0530, Dorairaj B - CTD, Chennai. wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I am transferring a AES encrypted buffer by writing to a file in Windows
> > and then trying to decrypt the buffer from the transferred file in Linux.
> > Though i use the same key both sides, the decryption does not work.
> >
> > I use the following:
> >
> > windows 2000 professional with openssl-0.9.8a
> > Linux 2.4.20 with openssl-0.9.8a
> > Used fgets, fputs for transferring contents from buffer to file.
> >
> > I suspect doing the file operation would add '\0' at the end and might
> > cause problems.
> >
> > Is there a standard method of transferring the encrypted message from
> > Windows to Linux and viceversa?
> > Any help on this would be useful.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Dorai
> DISCLAIMER
> This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that is confidential, proprietary to HCL Technologies
> and its customers. Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the
> individual or the entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to
> read, forward, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer

Re: Crypted Message trasfer across OS

Bear Giles
First a question for you.  Are you BASE64-encoding the buffer?
It's a modest pain but that encoding was designed to ensure
reliable transport of binary data between systems.

How?  The decoder isn't affected by systems that convert a newline
into a carriage-return/newline (e.g., when you transfer a file in
the default mode in FTP).  It isn't affected by protocols that
drop the top bit.  It can be reliably delivered by all of the
standard protocols.

Bear

Dorairaj B - CTD, Chennai. wrote:

>>I am transferring a AES encrypted buffer by writing to a file in Windows
>>and then trying to decrypt the buffer from the transferred file in Linux.
>>Though i use the same key both sides, the decryption does not work.
>>
>>I use the following:
>>
>>windows 2000 professional with openssl-0.9.8a
>>Linux 2.4.20 with openssl-0.9.8a
>>Used fgets, fputs for transferring contents from buffer to file.
>>
>>I suspect doing the file operation would add '\0' at the end and might
>>cause problems.
>>
>>Is there a standard method of transferring the encrypted message from
>>Windows to Linux and viceversa?
>>Any help on this would be useful.

How to verify signed enveloped data

konark

Please send me the snippet of the code to verify signed enveloped data .

1. I'm getting problem PKCS7_DataInit() returning NULL this function is
called just after the decode of stored signedenveloped data.
2. It's looking like cipher in decode data is NULL.
3. Is there any init OR any other function should be called before calling
decode signed enveloped data.

Regards,
konark