Compiler requirements

Dmitry Belyavsky-3
Hello,

What is the minimal version of the compiler to build openssl?
Is it still required C89 compatibility or C99 standard can be used?

Unfortunately, I did not find these requirements in documentation.

Thank you!

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky

Re: Compiler requirements

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
In message <CADqLbz+Xm7aJw9zjau1uJ0=[hidden email]> on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 11:57:15 +0300, Dmitry Belyavsky <[hidden email]> said:

beldmit> Hello,
beldmit>
beldmit> What is the minimal version of the compiler to build openssl?
beldmit> Is it still required C89 compatibility or C99 standard can be used?
beldmit>
beldmit> Unfortunately, I did not find these requirements in documentation.

At the beginning of INSTALL, you will find a set of requirements.  On
of them is "an ANSI C compiler".

Note that this primary covers language syntax.  We do use libraries
that came later, but then also guard them with a suitable check of
__STDC_VERSION__ or similar, and use or provide alternate
implementations when necessary.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         [hidden email]

Re: Compiler requirements

OpenSSL - Dev mailing list
> beldmit> What is the minimal version of the compiler to build openssl?
> beldmit> Is it still required C89 compatibility or C99 standard can be used?
> beldmit>
> beldmit> Unfortunately, I did not find these requirements in documentation.
>
> At the beginning of INSTALL, you will find a set of requirements.  On of them
> is "an ANSI C compiler".

That doesn't answer the question :)  Which version of ANSI C?

I believe C89 is written down somewhere.

Re: Compiler requirements

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
In message <[hidden email]> on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:05:06 +0000, "Salz, Rich via openssl-dev" <[hidden email]> said:

openssl-dev> > beldmit> What is the minimal version of the compiler to build openssl?
openssl-dev> > beldmit> Is it still required C89 compatibility or C99 standard can be used?
openssl-dev> > beldmit>
openssl-dev> > beldmit> Unfortunately, I did not find these requirements in documentation.
openssl-dev> >
openssl-dev> > At the beginning of INSTALL, you will find a set of requirements.  On of them
openssl-dev> > is "an ANSI C compiler".
openssl-dev>
openssl-dev> That doesn't answer the question :)  Which version of ANSI C?

Ah, you're right, "ANSI C" is a bit of a loose target depending on who
you ask.  As far as I know, we refer to C89/C90 (they are essentially
the same for our intents and purposes).

openssl-dev> I believe C89 is written down somewhere.

C89 is written nowhere in the source at least, nor is C90.  We should
probably clarify that.

Speculating a bit, it's probably safe to say that C95 compiler is fine
as well.  C99, not so much, there's too much risk that we start
excluding some platforms if we start using its features.  Anyway, I
don't think it's safe to upgrade our minimum expectations now.
OpenSSL 1.2.0 would be a good time for such re-evaluations.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         [hidden email]

Re: Compiler requirements

Kurt Roeckx
On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 05:42:42PM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]> on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:05:06 +0000, "Salz, Rich via openssl-dev" <[hidden email]> said:
>
> openssl-dev> > beldmit> What is the minimal version of the compiler to build openssl?
> openssl-dev> > beldmit> Is it still required C89 compatibility or C99 standard can be used?
> openssl-dev> > beldmit>
> openssl-dev> > beldmit> Unfortunately, I did not find these requirements in documentation.
> openssl-dev> >
> openssl-dev> > At the beginning of INSTALL, you will find a set of requirements.  On of them
> openssl-dev> > is "an ANSI C compiler".
> openssl-dev>
> openssl-dev> That doesn't answer the question :)  Which version of ANSI C?
>
> Ah, you're right, "ANSI C" is a bit of a loose target depending on who
> you ask.  As far as I know, we refer to C89/C90 (they are essentially
> the same for our intents and purposes).
>
> openssl-dev> I believe C89 is written down somewhere.
>
> C89 is written nowhere in the source at least, nor is C90.  We should
> probably clarify that.
>

> Speculating a bit, it's probably safe to say that C95 compiler is fine
> as well.  C99, not so much, there's too much risk that we start
> excluding some platforms if we start using its features.  Anyway, I
> don't think it's safe to upgrade our minimum expectations now.
> OpenSSL 1.2.0 would be a good time for such re-evaluations.

I think the minimum requirement is C89 + support for "long long".

A newer version shouldn't be a problem, it should work with a
compiler that defaults to C11 for instance.

Kurt

Re: Compiler requirements

OpenSSL - Dev mailing list
I think it’s more a matter of using new features in C11 that preclude compilation on older platforms, rather than the use of a C11 compiler itself.

--
-Todd Short
// "One if by land, two if by sea, three if by the Internet."