Compiled on windows but lacking symbols

Chandi Bernier
Hey guys,

I've tried a precompiled windows version of 0.9.7.c openssl and it was
lacking symbols for these 3 fnc :

ERR_print_errors_fp
BIO_new_socket
OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf (or conf)

Then I've decided on compiling my own version using mingw... which worked.
But it's still lacking those symbols.

Then I've found out about libeay32 which has them. So I've got to compile my
application using -leay32 -lssl. Quite weird, no ?

Thanks for your support,

Chandi

Re: Compiled on windows but lacking symbols

Kyle Hamilton
This brings up a really interesting point.

What is the appropriate separation of functions?  What can I presume
is in each library?  (eay32 is crypto stuff.  ssl32 should be the BIO
and SSL session management stuff?)

-Kyle H

On 2/28/06, Chandi Bernier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I've tried a precompiled windows version of 0.9.7.c openssl and it was
> lacking symbols for these 3 fnc :
>
> ERR_print_errors_fp
> BIO_new_socket
> OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf (or conf)
>
> Then I've decided on compiling my own version using mingw... which worked.
> But it's still lacking those symbols.
>
> Then I've found out about libeay32 which has them. So I've got to compile my
> application using -leay32 -lssl. Quite weird, no ?
>

> Thanks for your support,
>
> Chandi

Re: Compiled on windows but lacking symbols

Dr. Stephen Henson
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> This brings up a really interesting point.
>
> What is the appropriate separation of functions?  What can I presume
> is in each library?  (eay32 is crypto stuff.  ssl32 should be the BIO
> and SSL session management stuff?)

libssl or its equivalent is the SSL/TLS library. Everything else is
libcrypto.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

Re: Compiled on windows but lacking symbols

Chandi Bernier

My point was... why on Linux did I need only libssl and to compile the same
client on Windows/MinGW requires libssl and libeay32.  I could not find a
lot of doc about the differences between the two. The only thing I've found
said libeay32 is the predecessor of openssl. Is that right ?

Dr Henson, you've made clear the distinction between libssl and libcrypto.
But what are the distinctions between eay and ssl ???

Thanks !

Chandi

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006, Chandi Bernier wrote:

> My point was... why on Linux did I need only libssl and to compile the same
> client on Windows/MinGW requires libssl and libeay32.  I could not find a
> lot of doc about the differences between the two. The only thing I've found
> said libeay32 is the predecessor of openssl. Is that right ?

Some vendors combine everything into a single library. That's non standard and
OpenSSL doesn't do that itself.

> Dr Henson, you've made clear the distinction between libssl and libcrypto.
> But what are the distinctions between eay and ssl ???

Notice I said "or its equivalent". eay is the name of the OpenSSL libcrypto on
Win32 and ssl if libssl on Win32. We should really change those at some point
since it isn't really an accurate name any more.

Funding needed! Details on homepage.

Re: Compiled on windows but lacking symbols

wrowe
Chandi Bernier wrote:

> My point was... why on Linux did I need only libssl and to compile the
> same client on Windows/MinGW requires libssl and libeay32.

Something's wrong.

You either want libssl + libcrypto, or libssl32 + libeay32.

On Linux the reason it -probably- worked is that

  1. linux doesn't care that symbols aren't resolved, and
  2. libssl.so might have had an internal linkage to libcrypto.so, causing
     it to be loaded on the fly.
  3. libtool may have picked up the libcrypto.so dependency from the pkgconfig
     file for the library.

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Chandi Bernier wrote:
>
>> My point was... why on Linux did I need only libssl and to compile the
>> same client on Windows/MinGW requires libssl and libeay32.
>
> Something's wrong.
>
> You either want libssl + libcrypto, or libssl32 + libeay32.

Whoops - you either want libssl + libcrypto, or ssleay32 + libeay32.
Sorry for the confusion and thanks to the good Dr. for pointing this out.