Compile openssl sparc sun4v architecture designation

Compile openssl sparc sun4v architecture designation

cross
When I've compiled openssl in the past I specified solaris-sparcv8-cc or solaris-sparcv8-gcc for sun4u architecrture.  I have a sunT4-2 which is a sun4v, and I also used solaris-sparcv8-gcc either from habit or reading an article that I can't find any more.   And it compiled clean and seems to work.

I'm installing a new version of openssl on another T4-2 and I want to make sure I have the right designation.  This link has a chart specifying the options to use but it is old and anddoesn't have sun4v.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=174308&seqNum=5

I saw in a number of places now to use solaris-sparcv9-gcc or solaris-sparcv9-cc with the sunv4.  But why does the openssl I installed on the T4-2 seem to work with solaris-sparcv8-gcc when it is a sun4v please?

I want to make sure I have the correct designation.

Thanks for any help.

Christine

Re: Compile openssl sparc sun4v architecture designation

cross
HI

I found that if I did ./config it defaulted to solaris-sparcv9-cc.  I"m wondering why on the T4-2 that it worked with solaris-sparcv8-cc.

If anyone knows why it works with the wrong designation then I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Compile openssl sparc sun4v architecture designation

cross
I was given this reply in another group on why it works with the earlier architecture designation.

"Because the two architectures are binary compatible.

It uses some tricks to pick specific T4 (and later) instructions
when run on such a system but will run other instructions on
older (sun4u *and* older sun4v) "

Thought I'd pass it on.