Can openssl change a V1 to a V3 x509?

David Templar
I am having a lot of problems importing a certificate made in openssl
into a phone, but I can get a keytool certificate imported. The only
thing is that I need to change the V1 cert (keytool only makes V1) to a
V3 cert - can openssl modify a cert to a V3 (without changing anything
else)?

Re: Can openssl change a V1 to a V3 x509?

Joseph Oreste Bruni
Probably not since the certificate has been signed by its issuer. Any
changes would render the signature invalid.

On Jul 13, 2005, at 3:45 PM, David Templar wrote:

> I am having a lot of problems importing a certificate made in
> openssl into a phone, but I can get a keytool certificate imported.
> The only thing is that I need to change the V1 cert (keytool only
> makes V1) to a V3 cert - can openssl modify a cert to a V3 (without
> changing anything else)?

RE: Can openssl change a V1 to a V3 x509?

JoelKatz

> I am having a lot of problems importing a certificate made in openssl
> into a phone, but I can get a keytool certificate imported. The only
> thing is that I need to change the V1 cert (keytool only makes V1) to a
> V3 cert - can openssl modify a cert to a V3 (without changing anything
> else)?

        Certificates, by design, cannot be modified. Whoever or whatever issued the
certificate will have to issue a new one.

        DS

Re: Can openssl change a V1 to a V3 x509?

David Templar
Thanks.