COMP_zlibd don't return a valid method

Ignacio Butler
Hello,

first of all, sorry by my english...

The problem is,
i have started to develop a simple application that uses SSL with
compression, but when i try to add the zlib compression method to my
server it is imposible

the code that i use is:

        comp_method = COMP_zlib();

        if(comp_method != NULL)
        {
                printf("compression name: %s\n", (comp_method->name !=
NULL? comp_method->name:""));
                if (comp_method->type != NID_undef)
                        SSL_COMP_add_compression_method(COMP_ZLIB, comp_method);
                else
                        warning2("Compression not suported");

                exit(1);
        }

obiuosly, the output is "Compression not suported"...

i recompiled my openSSL library with zlib support and nothing...
my openssl version is 0.9.8

thank all!
ignacio
--
 -o)
  / \\

Re: COMP_zlibd don't return a valid method

prakash babu
Hello Ignacio,

                       I tried the program you attached and it seems to work fine .

#include <openssl/comp.h>
#include <openssl/obj_mac.h>
int main()
{
COMP_METHOD *comp_method;
comp_method = COMP_zlib();
if(comp_method != NULL)
        {
                printf("compression name: %s\n", (comp_method->name !=
NULL? comp_method->name:""));
                if (comp_method->type != NID_undef)
                        SSL_COMP_add_compression_method(1, comp_method);
                else
                        printf("Compression not suported");
                exit(1);
        }
}
# cc test2.c -lcrypto -lssl
# ./a.out
compression name: zlib compression

Can you give me more details such as the platform, compilation steps etc ?

Thanks,
Prakash

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: COMP_zlibd don't return a valid method

Ignacio Butler
hi,

well, i'm using Linux, with a 2.4.xx kernel and the 0.9.8 version of
the ssl library,

to compile it i do: gcc -o master master.c -lssl -lcrypto -lpthread
(same as you do it)

i've compiled the library configurating using "./config zlib" the
library is compiled with this parameter...

thanks prakash,
ignacio

--
 -o)
  / \\
_\_V
cuando no tenes paredes, no necesitas ventanas

Re: COMP_zlibd don't return a valid method

prakash babu
Hi Ignacio ,

I think that the problem is that your are not linking the appropriate libraries.
Try the following steps
 # ./config zlib
 #  gmake
 #  gcc test.c -L<OpenSSL Source Directory> -I<OpenSSL Source Directory/include> -lssl -lcrypto -lz -ldl
 #./a.out
 compression name: zlib compression

Your Method
#gcc test.c -lssl -lcrypto
//this will use the crypto and ssl libraries that comes OS which is present in the /usr/lib directory and this may not be built with zlib support
# ./a.out
compression name: (null)

--
-o)
/ \\
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: COMP_zlibd don't return a valid method

Ignacio Butler
thank you, it worked!

but, why don't use the installed openssl library and i have to put the
source directory?

thanks
ignacio

--
 -o)
  / \\
_\_V
cuando no tenes paredes, no necesitas ventanas

Re: COMP_zlibd don't return a valid method

prakash babu
Hello Ignacio,
 You can also use the installed libraries but make sure that your program uses them

# gmake install
#  gcc test.c -L<OpenSSL Install Directory/lib> -I<OpenSSL Install Directory/include> -lssl -lcrypto -lz -ldl

--
-o)
/ \\
_\_V
cuando no tenes paredes, no necesitas ventanas
Automated List Manager [hidden email]

Yahoo! Mail