CA certificate authentication

Bencoe, Michael K
I sent the email below yesterday, but I sent it before I completed the
subscription process for the openssl-users list.  So, my guess is that
it wasn't sent.  If you're seeing again, my apologies.

Thanks!

Michael Bencoe
Organization 9512
Sandia National Laboratories
Phone: 505-844-6758
Fax:     505-844-2018

Re: CA certificate authentication

J. Wren Hunt
Bencoe, Michael K wrote:

> Our development team just completed a successful experiment using SSL
> and mutual certificate authentication between a Java socket server and a
> C++ socket client.  The C++ client used OpenSSL, while the Java server
> used the SSL services provided with the 1.4 SDK.  For the experiment, we
> created the certificate files/stores and key files/stores with OpenSSL
> and Java utilities.

I'm not a Java guy but be aware that the 1.4JDK only supports keys up to
1024 bits. If you need bigger key lengths (e.g., 2048, 4096) you'll need
to go to 1.5+

--

Cheers!

J. Wren Hunt
Cambridge, MA. USA

"I have never killed anyone, but I have read some obituaries with some
satisfaction." - Clarence Darrow.

| v-card   http://wrenhunt.homelinux.org/data/wren.vcf             |
| x.509    http://wrenhunt.homelinux.org/data/thawte_wren_hunt.cer |
| OpenPGP  ADF5 1432 A59E 8F4D 4AE7  4DFE 03FA 91E1 4A24 D6F4      |