Building libssl and libcrypto, .dlls and .libs, with different names?

Building libssl and libcrypto, .dlls and .libs, with different names?

Zarlenga.Mike

Good day,

Has anyone on this mailing list gone through the steps necessary to build OpenSSL 1.1.0f with the old filenames (libeay and ssleay)?

Our current build is based on libeay32 and ssleay32 as the 32-bit filenames and libeay64 and ssleay64 as the 64-bit filenames. Accomplishing the “64” name change requires just a simple edit on the 2 .def files after ms\do_win64a and before nmake.

But the build process for 1.1.0 is different (no ms\do_win64a step) and I’m hoping someone on this list has already gone through the effort for something similar and will share so that I don’t have to start digging through makefiles to reinvent the same wheel.

Thanks in advance,

M Zarlenga

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

Re: Building libssl and libcrypto, .dlls and .libs, with different names?

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker-2
In message <[hidden email]> on Mon, 26 Jun 2017 01:18:39 +0000, "Zarlenga.Mike" <[hidden email]> said:

Mike.Zarlenga> Has anyone on this mailing list gone through the steps necessary to
Mike.Zarlenga> build OpenSSL 1.1.0f with the old filenames (libeay and ssleay)?

Generally speaking, it's a bad idea.  The 1.1.0 libraries aren't ABI
backward compatible with the older versions.  Therefore, we decided
for a new naming scheme that includes the version we claim to keep
being backward compatible.

I would suggest that, rather than trying to fit things back to a
naming scheme that no longer works, you fit your building procedures
to the new scheme when building against OpenSSL 1.1.0 and on.  The
plan is that the names will be 'libcrypto-1_1.dll' and 'libssl-1_1.dll'
for 32-bit and 'libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll' and 'libssl-1_1-x64.dll' for
64-bit for all 1.1.x OpenSSL versions.
(which means that whenever 1.2.0 comes out, there will be a
'libcrypto-1_2.dll' and so on...  I expect it will take a number of
years before we get there)

Note, btw, that the import libraries on Windows are simply called
libcrypto.lib and libssl.lib from OpenSSL 1.1.0 and on.  That will
most likely not change at all for the far future.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte         [hidden email]