Building OpenSSL 1.1.0h on HPUX 11 PARISC2 64bit

Building OpenSSL 1.1.0h on HPUX 11 PARISC2 64bit

Clint Redwood
Hi!

Since I can’t find any current pre-build versions of OpenSSL for this platform, I am trying to build OpenSSL 1.1.0h with GCC 4.6.1 on HPUX 11.0.

I’ve tried a basic ./config approach but that appears to select hpux-parisc1_1-gcc when I want PARISC2.

I tried building it, but had problems
a) with several .s assembly files not compiling with the gnu assembler (but they do compile with the native hpux assembler)
b) when trying to link getting a "missing /opt/langtools/lib/libcomp.sl" which I understand from a few forum entries is redundant in HPUX 11 (I can't see why it's being requested anyway)

So I checked wondered if the problem is that it is configuring for the wrong platform, so I have reviewed the code in "config", and in line 778 the OUT variable is set to "hpux-parisc1_1-$(CC)" with a comment saying that PARISC2 is no longer supported in a 32 bit build. However, I'm trying to build it in 64 bit.

I've tried commenting this line out, and configuring for hpux-parisc2-gcc, and I still get the assembly failures, but I now also get compile failures in
Crypto/dso/dso_dlfcn.c:
  314:5 error: unknown type name 'Dl_info'
  328:30 error:request for member 'dli_fname' in something not a structure or union
  333:25 error:request for member 'dli_fname' in something not a structure or union

I've not been able to get past this point, so I don't know if the linking would be a problem.

Given I'm trying to build for 64 bit, should this be built for parisc_1_1 or parisc2, and how might I go about fixing these issues?

Thanks!

Yours,

Clint Redwood

Screwtape Limited, Registered 06663232, Babington House, 26 College Road, Chilwell, Nottingham NG9 4AS

Re: Building OpenSSL 1.1.0h on HPUX 11 PARISC2 64bit

FooCrypt
Hi Clint

its been awhile since I built on 11i, have you tried :

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Development/Libraries/openssl-1.0.2j/

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Development/Libraries/

???

They appear to have build notes here : http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/cgi-bin/wwwtar?/hpux/Development/Libraries/openssl-1.0.2o/openssl-1.0.2o-src-11.31.tar.gz+openssl-1.0.2o/HPUX.Install+text

> On 7 Jun 2018, at 10:11 PM, Clint Redwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Since I can’t find any current pre-build versions of OpenSSL for this platform, I am trying to build OpenSSL 1.1.0h with GCC 4.6.1 on HPUX 11.0.
>
> I’ve tried a basic ./config approach but that appears to select hpux-parisc1_1-gcc when I want PARISC2.
>
> I tried building it, but had problems
> a) with several .s assembly files not compiling with the gnu assembler (but they do compile with the native hpux assembler)
> b) when trying to link getting a "missing /opt/langtools/lib/libcomp.sl" which I understand from a few forum entries is redundant in HPUX 11 (I can't see why it's being requested anyway)
>
> So I checked wondered if the problem is that it is configuring for the wrong platform, so I have reviewed the code in "config", and in line 778 the OUT variable is set to "hpux-parisc1_1-$(CC)" with a comment saying that PARISC2 is no longer supported in a 32 bit build. However, I'm trying to build it in 64 bit.
>
> I've tried commenting this line out, and configuring for hpux-parisc2-gcc, and I still get the assembly failures, but I now also get compile failures in
> Crypto/dso/dso_dlfcn.c:
>  314:5 error: unknown type name 'Dl_info'
>  328:30 error:request for member 'dli_fname' in something not a structure or union
>  333:25 error:request for member 'dli_fname' in something not a structure or union
>
> I've not been able to get past this point, so I don't know if the linking would be a problem.
>
> Given I'm trying to build for 64 bit, should this be built for parisc_1_1 or parisc2, and how might I go about fixing these issues?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yours,
>
> Clint Redwood
>
> Screwtape Limited, Registered 06663232, Babington House, 26 College Road, Chilwell, Nottingham NG9 4AS

Re: Building OpenSSL 1.1.0h on HPUX 11 PARISC2 64bit

Andy Polyakov-2

> Since I can’t find any current pre-build versions of OpenSSL for this platform, I am trying to build OpenSSL 1.1.0h with GCC 4.6.1 on HPUX 11.0.
>
> I’ve tried a basic ./config approach but that appears to select hpux-parisc1_1-gcc when I want PARISC2.
>
> I tried building it, but had problems
> a) with several .s assembly files not compiling with the gnu assembler (but they do compile with the native hpux assembler)
> b) when trying to link getting a "missing /opt/langtools/lib/libcomp.sl" which I understand from a few forum entries is redundant in HPUX 11 (I can't see why it's being requested anyway)
>
> So I checked wondered if the problem is that it is configuring for the wrong platform, so I have reviewed the code in "config", and in line 778 the OUT variable is set to "hpux-parisc1_1-$(CC)" with a comment saying that PARISC2 is no longer supported in a 32 bit build. However, I'm trying to build it in 64 bit.

You should keep in mind that it takes gcc that actually generates 64-bit
code. While it seems to be self-obvious, it was source of confusion
earlier. For example you can observe hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11 in gcc -v
output, yet it would generate 32-bit code [even though "w" customarily
is reference to 64 bits]. But let's say that your gcc generates 64-bit
code. Trouble is that ./config in 1.1.0 fails to detect bitness
correctly. It was corrected in master/1.1.1, but in 1.1.0 you are stuck
with manual selection as argument to ./Configure. The choice is between
hpux64-parisc2-cc and hpux64-parisc2-gcc. As for gnu assembler, it's
known limitation. I mean yes, OpenSSL PA-RISC assembly can be compiled
only with vendor assembler. So that if your gcc can't be told to use
native HP-UX assembler, then you have to configure with no-asm or
configure for hpux64-parirsc2-cc, i.e. vendor compiler.