Broadcom & OpenSSL support

Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz-2
Hi SSL'es

We are planning to buy this hardware

http://www.broadcom.com/products/BCM800

It claims to run under linux, how ever after linux loads its module. I wonder
to know if openssl will take advantege of it?

Regards,

LD

Re: Broadcom & OpenSSL support

John R Pierce
Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
> We are planning to buy this hardware
>
> http://www.broadcom.com/products/BCM800
>
> It claims to run under linux, how ever after linux loads its module. I wonder
> to know if openssl will take advantege of it?

thats a 6 year old product, hung on the old/slow PCI parallel bus..  I'd
think 1 extra core on a modern CPU would be more than sufficient to
outperform it

it claims 400% faster than a Pentium-III, whoa.    but, um.... we have
Nehalem based quad core Xeon server processors now that are 16 times or
more faster than a Pentium-III per core.

color me skeptical.   also, having seen Broadcom software before, run,
run away now.

Re: Broadcom & OpenSSL support

Lou Picciano
Luis,

I feel your pain.  We were also recently working through the decision tree on purchasing 'purpose-specific' encryption hardware for our servers; we were talked out of it by people on this list and elsewhere, given advances in CPUs.

One specific advancement is the AES-specific instruction set in the 2010 Intel Core™ processor family; an excerpt:

Intel® AES instructions are a new set of instructions available beginning with the all new 2010 Intel® Core™ processor family based on the 32nm Intel® microarchitecture codename Westmere. These instructions enable fast and secure data encryption and decryption, using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) which is defined by FIPS Publication number 197. Since AES is currently the dominant block cipher, and it is used in various protocols, the new instructions are valuable for a wide range of applications.

Obviously, I can't speak to any prospective implementation OpenSSL might come up with, but one can only hope...  ?

Lou Picciano

It claims to run under linux, how ever after linux loads its module. I wonder
to know if openssl will take advantege of it?

Regards,

LD

Re: Broadcom & OpenSSL support

Michael S. Zick-4
On Tue March 9 2010, Lou Picciano wrote:

> Luis,
>

> I feel your pain. We were also recently working through the decision tree on purchasing 'purpose-specific' encryption hardware for our servers; we were talked out of it by people on this list and elsewhere, given advances in CPUs.
>

> One specific advancement is the AES-specific instruction set in the 2010 Intel Core™ processor family; an excerpt:
>

> Intel® AES instructions are a new set of instructions available beginning with the all new 2010 Intel® Core™ processor family based on the 32nm Intel® microarchitecture codename Westmere. These instructions enable fast and secure data encryption and decryption, using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) which is defined by FIPS Publication number 197. Since AES is currently the dominant block cipher, and it is used in various protocols, the new instructions are valuable for a wide range of applications.
>

> Here's the link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-advanced-encryption-standard-aes-instructions-set/
>
> Obviously, I can't speak to any prospective implementation OpenSSL might come up with, but one can only hope... ?

The VIA processors have had AES instructions for awhile now, and OpenSSL recognizes it as an "Engine" -
So it should not be too big a stretch to think that the Intel instructions will get the same treatment.

Mike

> Lou Picciano

Chris Clark
> One specific advancement is the AES-specific instruction set in the 2010
> Intel Core™ processor family; an excerpt:
> Intel® AES instructions are a new set of instructions available beginning
> with the all new 2010 Intel® Core™ processor family based on the 32nm Intel®
> microarchitecture codename Westmere. These instructions enable fast and
> secure data encryption and decryption, using the Advanced Encryption
> Standard (AES) which is defined by FIPS Publication number 197.

Does anyone know if support for this hardware based AES is planning to
be implemented
into OpenSSL anytime soon?

-Chris