Binary Distribution DLL Names

Grahame Grieve
Hi

I have a 64bit windows application that uses openSSL, and I am using the indy distribution from https://indy.fulgan.com/SSL/. This makes the file names of the openssl dlls libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll (even though they are 64bit).  Other distributions use other names (libcrypto-XX-x64.dll etc)

I believe that the filename variations are at the root of an issue I have with openSSL. My symptoms are this: when I run my unit tests that do (among other things) a bunch of tests of my SSL server, all is good. However, anytime I load the mysql odbc driver into the memory space, I get an memory corruption problem in libeay32.dll when shutting down. Google suggests that this is due to a build mismatch between the two dlls... I'm guessing that mysql is loading some other dll variant of openssl and some build mismatch is arising ?

I'm clutching at straws here, but has this been an issue before? is there any policy issue around distrubution filenames? Is there any other likely cause why loading the mysql odbc driver causes memory corruptions in openssl when shutting down?

thanks
Grahame

Re: Binary Distribution DLL Names

Matt Caswell-2

On 18/01/2019 11:51, Grahame Grieve wrote:

> I got no response to this. I presume that mean that this is a stupid question,
> but I'm afraid I don't understand why
>
> Grahame
>

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 11:45 PM Grahame Grieve
> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     I have a 64bit windows application that uses openSSL, and I am using the
>     indy distribution from https://indy.fulgan.com/SSL/. This makes the file
>     names of the openssl dlls libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll (even though they
>     are 64bit).

That distribution is OpenSSL 1.0.2 which uses those old names.

> Other distributions use other names (libcrypto-XX-x64.dll etc)

Other distributions you have seen are probably using OpenSSL 1.1.0 or 1.1.1
which use the new names.

>     I believe that the filename variations are at the root of an issue I have
>     with openSSL. My symptoms are this: when I run my unit tests that do (among
>     other things) a bunch of tests of my SSL server, all is good. However,
>     anytime I load the mysql odbc driver into the memory space, I get an memory
>     corruption problem in libeay32.dll when shutting down. Google suggests that
>     this is due to a build mismatch between the two dlls... I'm guessing that
>     mysql is loading some other dll variant of openssl and some build mismatch
>     is arising ?
>
>     I'm clutching at straws here, but has this been an issue before? is there
>     any policy issue around distrubution filenames? Is there any other likely
>     cause why loading the mysql odbc driver causes memory corruptions in openssl
>     when shutting down?

I've not seen it before. The distribution filenames vary based on the version of
OpenSSL you are using.

Re: Binary Distribution DLL Names

Grahame Grieve
thanks very much. I will see what I can do about the indy distribution which seems to have fallen behind

Grahame